Tranny slipping

on a 96 4x4 2500 w/Cummins. Is this an adjustment or a rebuild? It will be going to the shop for servicing as soon as I set up a ride there and back and want to prepare myself for the worse. John

Reply to
Midlant

Depends... when does the slip occur?

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

When I take off from a stop. Not always. Some times it actually locks up fine and takes off like a gasser would.

Reply to
Midlant

Mine felt like it was slipping when accelerating from a stop. Don't know the exact problem but they replaced a part inside and just had to drop the pan.

Reply to
miles

Do you feel its actually slipping or perhaps delayed shift to 2nd?

Reply to
miles

It just sits there, then engages and off I go. I take my foot off the brake and it may or may not move. Eventually it will. Sometimes a quick blip of the accelerator will get it to move other times, I have to wait for it, the apply throttle.

Reply to
Midlant

When was the last time the fluid and filter were changed?

Reply to
miles

Dumb question, but gotta ask... have you checked the fluid level, with the engine running and tranny in neutral? If that's OK, then removing and inspecting the pan will tell you whether it's a repair or a re-build.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Yep, fluid is full to the mark. I check it warm, after a nice long drive, and then in neutral.

I last changed it 2-3 years ago ....maybe 25k miles. I'd have to check my maint log. I was changing it every year myself.

Reply to
Midlant

It could be a weak main pump or leaking seal on clutch pack. As idle oil flow is at it lowest and leakage would cause the most trouble. Since it graps when RPM increases it tends to suggest a weak pump of clutch leak because oil flow would increase with RPM and overcome a leak or weak pump. If this is true it would also tend to maybe slip more when it is fully hots and do its best when it is between cold and fully hot.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Seals or sealing rings in the rear clutch are shot.

Reply to
John Kunkel

Thank you.

Reply to