Tranny Temp Sensor

I'd like to add a tranny temp gauge to my 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 (5.7L Hemi w/545RFE trans) to monitor temps while towing my travel trailer. I'm leaning toward installing the sensor in the hot-side cooler line. A buddy
has an F-250 that had a test port in the tranny where he installed his sender. This would be an alternative I'd be intersted in trying. Anyone know if there's a similar test port on the 545RFE? If so, where is it located? I'd also like to hear other thoughts on the tranny gauge installation. Thanks gang.

The cooler line is the best place for it - it's the hottest point, it gets full flow all the time, and it doesn't risk any mechanical interference. The second-best point would be the pan itself - pretty easy to drop the pan and install an 1/8" pipe bushing in the side of the pan - this can also double as a drain plug.
Thanks for the info, Tom.

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.rv/browse_thread/thread/c79dcd2d0c0e64b9/93f2ca60db7a61ef?lnk=st&q=Transmission+temperature+gauge&rnum=8&hl=en#93f2ca60db7a61ef
I used the gauge in the above thread and it gives a rise in temp. That is all you need to know. It took me a couple of hours to install. Once installed, I drove 15 or 20 miles to get a base reading from the gauge. When towing, if it goes up 50 degrees, I back off. I've been up and down mountains all over the US, Canada & 14 states in Mexico since installing it. On 1 trip there was a couple with the same model truck with a factory gauge installed and towing a similar trailer & we were getting readings very close. I like my $15 Pyrex kitchen gauge for transmission temp reading!!
Tom J
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.outdoors.rv-travel/browse_thread/thread/7befe22af55a9051/d00f364582ba9a5a?lnk=st&q=Transmission+temperature+gauge&rnum2&hl=en#d00f364582ba9a5a Here is a later thread where others in this group tried and liked the same gauge. This thread gives you the description and model #.
Tom J

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.rv/browse_thread/thread/c79dcd2d0c0e64b9/93f2ca60db7a61ef?lnk=st&q=Transmission+temperature+gauge&rnum=8&hl=en#93f2ca60db7a61ef

Test ports in the case are possibly the worst place to place a temp sensor, typically there is little or no fluid flow in the chambers where the test ports tap in; the fluid in those chambers is "dead headed".