Trans fluid or additive ?

Page 1 of 2
Rather than have the Dealer$ do the tranny flush and change I went to Pennzoil drive in . 2002 Dakota Quad w 4.7.
Next time to dealer, they remark tranny fluid is no good, needs flush, I
didn't have time to give them the 3rd degree but they claimed they looked at it again and didn't just go by the 'denied' note on last visit... ya right.
So I went back to Pennzoil. They claim they put in: "Mercon/Dexron III ATF" plus additive "7176" to birng it to correct Dodge spec..
Is this bull ? Is it acceptable ? Is the correct stuff not available straight ? They claim its not available 'straight'.
Thanks for any and all input. It drives fine that I can tell, just don't want damage or warranty voided.
Get that stuff out of there. Mercon/Dextron + an additive is not the way to go. 7176 is an additive that claims to add similar characteristics of Mopar ATF+3.
From Allpar's website:
"Do not use Dexron with an additive. Richard Widman passed us an extensive report from reputable gas company Chevron, which compared ATF+3 fluid with Dexron plus various additives. They found that neither of two major brands matched ATF+3's performance specs."
Furthermore your 2002 most likely requires fully synthetic ATF +4 (Check your manual). Most non-chrysler shops do not have ATF+4 because until recently only Mopar made it. The shop will most likely argue like crazy for the reason that they do not have ATF+4 and apparently don't even have ATF+3. For the $'s saved it's simply not worth it. Use the fluid specified by Dodge.
Ron wrote:

Just keep driving it and before you get 10,000 miles on that fluid, you will know you made a mistake. Shifts will get slower than it will not want to go into overdrive. Then a few grand for a rebuild.Pay a few hundred now or a few thousand later.

Appreciate the feedback, will deal with it asap. First to Pennzoil for a refund, then maybe the dealer inspite they want 3 times the money !!! almost 300 bux !!!
Anymore info with references keep it comin', printing them out and going back to Pennzoil for either ATF+4 or my money back !!
Thx Ron
Ron wrote:

$300 for a tranny flush at your dealer? That seems WAY too high. Dealers here are about $100 for ATF+4.
Check your manual for required fluid type. My guess is that your manual will indicate ATF+4 is required. If so there is no argument the penzoil shop can offer since the additive they use only brings it (supposedly) to ATF+3 specs.
================miles wrote:

==================== I get $149.00 for the service on that truck.
not a flush job....a trans service.
~:~ MarshMonster ~when it comes to rebuilds......if you wanna rush it, flush it~
Marsh Monster wrote:

If your shop is only dropping the pan, replace the filter and a few quarts of fluid then $149 is way too high. If that includes the above plus a changing all fluid then its not too bad.

Not really. $30-$40 for the fluid (remember, DC thinks +4 is liquified gold)... $20 for the filter/gasket... $90 for the hour labor (minimum charge)... it adds up.

Also note I was talking canuck bucks :-)

If he has the tow package and changes both the filters it will take 2 gal (8 quarts) of ATF+4 to top off a 45RFE. I buy 6 gal (a case) at a time for around $17.50ea
Tom Lawrence wrote:

How much fluid is in the pan? My dealer charges $150 to drop the pan, change the filter AND do a complete flush. Quite a few more quarts of that liquid gold stuff!
miles wrote: .

====================
What is a complete flush?
jest curious
~:~ marsh ~sips his crownroyal...takes a hit off his dooby......wonders if he should restring his Penn tonight~
Marsh Monster wrote:

Changing ALL fluid, not just what drains out of the pan.
================> >marshmonster wrote:

=============miles answered:

================ Oh.
How do they get it all out?
again, jest curious
~:~ Marsh ~sips his crownroyal.......lights a smoke.....wonders.....if he should run out to the outfitters shop......nah.....my takle box is full~
Marsh Monster wrote:

The line going to the cooler is opened and the old is pumped out as new is put in. Considerably more fluid is changed this way. Still, I like to drop the pan now and then to change the filter. I suppose the bands could be adjusted at this time as well but most seem to tell me little adjustment is needed unless high mileage.
Tom Lawrence wrote:

================Finally........
we agree.
:)
~:~ marsh ~is still looking for that srt10 with the tranny he wants it to have........ oh well.......a repost in 3 or 4 years and i'll be vendicated~

Oh, we've agreed on other things in the past... I just never told ya :)
Tom Lawrence wrote:

================ Tommy, he's most likely got 2 filters. The screw on cannister type also.
~:~ marsh ~adds more mushrooms to the pot.......mmmm......this is gonna be some good tea~
==================> Marsh Monster wrote:

================== and yer a sevice advisor.........where???
lmao
~:~ MarshMonster ~you've always got that QuicklyLubeIt option......but....better make sure them teenagers don't add powersteering fluid to yer brake resevoir~
Marsh Monster wrote:

And this is funny cuz why?