Trans fluid or additive ?

Rather than have the Dealer$ do the tranny flush and change I went to Pennzoil drive in . 2002 Dakota Quad w 4.7.

Next time to dealer, they remark tranny fluid is no good, needs flush, I didn't have time to give them the 3rd degree but they claimed they looked at it again and didn't just go by the 'denied' note on last visit... ya right.

So I went back to Pennzoil. They claim they put in: "Mercon/Dexron III ATF" plus additive "7176" to birng it to correct Dodge spec..

Is this bull ? Is it acceptable ? Is the correct stuff not available straight ? They claim its not available 'straight'.

Thanks for any and all input. It drives fine that I can tell, just don't want damage or warranty voided.

Reply to
Ron

Get that stuff out of there. Mercon/Dextron + an additive is not the way to go. 7176 is an additive that claims to add similar characteristics of Mopar ATF+3.

From Allpar's website:

"Do not use Dexron with an additive. Richard Widman passed us an extensive report from reputable gas company Chevron, which compared ATF+3 fluid with Dexron plus various additives. They found that neither of two major brands matched ATF+3's performance specs."

Furthermore your 2002 most likely requires fully synthetic ATF +4 (Check your manual). Most non-chrysler shops do not have ATF+4 because until recently only Mopar made it. The shop will most likely argue like crazy for the reason that they do not have ATF+4 and apparently don't even have ATF+3. For the $'s saved it's simply not worth it. Use the fluid specified by Dodge.

R> Rather than have the Dealer$ do the tranny flush and change I went to

Reply to
miles

============ Ron, check your mail.

~:~ MarshMonster ~:~

Reply to
Marsh Monster

"Jay" wrote in news:mUd_f.90118$oL.66872@attbi_s71:

Appreciate the feedback, will deal with it asap. First to Pennzoil for a refund, then maybe the dealer inspite they want

3 times the money !!! almost 300 bux !!!

Anymore info with references keep it comin', printing them out and going back to Pennzoil for either ATF+4 or my money back !!

Thx Ron

Reply to
Ron

$300 for a tranny flush at your dealer? That seems WAY too high. Dealers here are about $100 for ATF+4.

Check your manual for required fluid type. My guess is that your manual will indicate ATF+4 is required. If so there is no argument the penzoil shop can offer since the additive they use only brings it (supposedly) to ATF+3 specs.

Reply to
miles

========== ========== Ron, check yer mail again.

~:~ Marsh ~:~

Reply to
Marsh Monster

=========== ===========

I get $149.00 for the service on that truck.

not a flush job....a trans service.

~:~ MarshMonster ~when it comes to rebuilds......if you wanna rush it, flush it~

Reply to
Marsh Monster

If your shop is only dropping the pan, replace the filter and a few quarts of fluid then $149 is way too high. If that includes the above plus a changing all fluid then its not too bad.

Reply to
miles

Not really. $30-$40 for the fluid (remember, DC thinks +4 is liquified gold)... $20 for the filter/gasket... $90 for the hour labor (minimum charge)... it adds up.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

"Tom Lawrence" wrote in news:Kjt_f.5255$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread1.news.atl.earthlink.net:

Also note I was talking canuck bucks :-)

Reply to
Ron

If he has the tow package and changes both the filters it will take 2 gal (8 quarts) of ATF+4 to top off a 45RFE. I buy 6 gal (a case) at a time for around $17.50ea

Reply to
Jay

How much fluid is in the pan? My dealer charges $150 to drop the pan, change the filter AND do a complete flush. Quite a few more quarts of that liquid gold stuff!

Reply to
miles

========== ========== miles wrote:

========== ==========

and yer a sevice advisor.........where???

lmao

~:~ MarshMonster ~you've always got that QuicklyLubeIt option......but....better make sure them teenagers don't add powersteering fluid to yer brake resevoir~

Reply to
Marsh Monster

========= ========= Finally........

we agree.

:)

~:~ marsh ~is still looking for that srt10 with the tranny he wants it to have........ oh well.......a repost in 3 or 4 years and i'll be vendicated~

Reply to
Marsh Monster

miles wrote: .

=========== ===========

What is a complete flush?

jest curious

~:~ marsh ~sips his crownroyal...takes a hit off his dooby......wonders if he should restring his Penn tonight~

Reply to
Marsh Monster

========= =========

Tommy, he's most likely got 2 filters. The screw on cannister type also.

~:~ marsh ~adds more mushrooms to the pot.......mmmm......this is gonna be some good tea~

Reply to
Marsh Monster

And this is funny cuz why?

Reply to
miles

Changing ALL fluid, not just what drains out of the pan.

Reply to
miles

======= ======== miles answered:

Oh.

How do they get it all out?

again, jest curious

~:~ Marsh ~sips his crownroyal.......lights a smoke.....wonders.....if he should run out to the outfitters shop......nah.....my takle box is full~

Reply to
Marsh Monster