Transmission Cooler

Nieve question. I appears I've got 4 rads on my 97 Dodge CTD. Other than the "normal" rad. what are the rest for? Presumably one is a transmission
cooler.

You also have an intercooler and an A/C condenser up front.
John Smith wrote:

Correct and some older SUV's like my 89 burb has four too (actually 5), radiator, A/C condensor, aux tranny cooler and a aux engine oil cooler. It also has a power steering cooler too but I do not count that one.
----------------- www.thesnoman.com
Excuse my ignorance, but what is an intercooler?

As the compressed air comes out of the turbo it is very hot. It is routed thru an intercooler (radiator) to cool down the air before it goes into the intake manifold. It's there to help make a few more hp.
Denny

Also called a charge air cooler, it cools off the hot compressed air from the turbocharger (because whenever you compress air, you raise it's temperature), before feeding it into the intake manifold (because colder air is more dense, and therefore gives you more oxygen in the cylinders to burn more fuel, and make more power).
If you look on the passenger side, you'll see how the discharge pipe from the turbocharger goes into the passenger-side of the intercooler. On the left (driver's) side, you'll see a pipe that brings that air from the intercooler up into the intake manifold.