Transmission dip stip & warning light

It may not be stupid question time but I gotta ask.
I have a 1977 Dodge van (B200)with a 360 engine and the Transmission Warning light is on even when the fluid level is above the Full mark on
the dip stick. Can there be any other cause than the dip stick is shorted? The light does go out if I unplug the connector to the dip stick.