transmission identification 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 Pickup 5.9l engine 2W

I am getting ready to do a transmission fluid change including band adjustment. The manual is talking about a 46RE or 47RE transmission. There is a slight difference in the number of turns of the band
adjusting screw depending on the actual transmission. Any idea how I can find out which one I have? The identification numbers on the tranny don't give me that detail. A hint I got in the auto parts store was the number of bolts on the pan might give me a clue - it has 14 bolts.
2000 Dodge Ram 1500 Pickup 5.9l engine 2W
Any help is greatly appreciated. Axel
The 47RE was diesel and V10 only, you have the 46RE.
--
Max

Another question: The transmission is functioning without any issues. I have 96,000 mile on it. The maintenance schedule calls for adjusting the bands, but do I really have to do it?
Axel
Max Dodge wrote:

Yes.
--