Transmission Problems..Dodge Ram 1500..2001

Truck holds a long time in first gear. If you manually shift into 2nd it appears not to have 2nd. If it shifts on it's own it takes 2nd. But when in a pull and it tries to shift into 2nd it comes out of gear. Any ideas on what is wrong?

Reply to
Wannabee

I assume that you checked the fluid level. It does not sound good. For starter if you are so inclined you might drop the pan on the tranny and check it for a clogged filter and for what deposits might be in the pan too. Also check the the color and oder of the oil. If it is brown or smell burnt or like peanut butter you have serious issues. If pan look good and oil and filter is okay then you may have a internal seal leak in a clutch assembly. Does this vehical have a lift and oversized tires and does it have a aux tranny cooler installed as well?

-----------------

TheSnoMan

2nd gear is a function of the kickdown band, try adjusting it.
Reply to
John Kunkel

any codes/errors? It could be mechanical, like the valve that went on our ram, or could be something as simple as the speed sensor, which (I think ) would generate an error code..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Reply to
ribbmaster

I have a '99 Ram 1500 59000 miles. almost the same problem, most of the time it stats out in 2nd gear and then shifts normal from there but when it statrs in 1st I have to run it up to about 3500 rpm for it to sift into 2nd. The problem started friday with no warning. I changed the fluid and filter, that did not help.

Reply to
ribbmaster