Trash Day!

Suddenly, without warning, Roy exclaimed (11/6/2010 7:05 PM):

In a word: Yes. There's plenty of proof that the government "helping" actually makes matters worse, extends recessions and creates depressions.

My belief - and this is a free country so you're completely free to disagree with me - is that, in the end, there are MORE homeless and unemployed because the government intervenes. If it would stay the heck out of the free market, the drop might be sharper, but would be shorter lived, and I believe unemployment numbers would have been improving a while back.

I also believe that we'd not be in the boat we're in now if the government hadn't forced banks to make loans easy, and make loans to people that could not afford them. There are other factors, but this simple fact caused the housing crash, which started the downhill snowball.

If the government stayed the heck out of the free market, we'd never have had the housing bubble that burst in the first place.

jmc

Reply to
jmc

Suddenly, without warning, jmc exclaimed (11/6/2010 7:52 PM):

Oh, and just to reiterate: I would feel the same way even if I had lost my job, even if I lose my job tomorrow. I am not a hypocrite. Also, it has not escaped me that you're trying to make me out as evil and uncaring (I'm not), suggesting that because I believe in small government and the free market, I want people to be unemployed and homeless.

Oh, and as for the extension of unemployment benefits... actually I think that given the economic climate, some extension was not a bad thing. Continually extending benefits though encourages people to remain unemployed, rather than working harder to find work.

jmc

Reply to
jmc

I'm am not tying to make you out as anything, sorry you feel that way.. Just pointing out the very possible results of your position as I see it.. Surpriseing that you'd bring up evil and uncaring though.

Nope, govt. is out, no extension at all.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

'Ceptin' Ohio Power and Light warned him that if'n he plugged it in he would cause a blackout across 17 counties...

Mike (who thought he'd get his licks in first)

Reply to
Mike Simmons

Suddenly, without warning, Roy exclaimed (11/6/2010 8:12 PM):

Actually, they were. When I was unemployed, it was 13 weeks. Apparently it's now 26 weeks (might vary) states, then was extended onto federally funded benefits to November 30. It was the second federal extension that didn't happen.

Can we go back to talking about trucks now? It's almost time for y'all to start razzing Mike about his heated seats, isn't it?

jmc

Reply to
jmc

Actually it started in 1913 with the 16th amendment. A federal sales tax would have tied the gov't to the economy much more than an income tax.

beekeep

Reply to
beekeep

If our goverment continues on its current path, I predict that McVey and Karresh sp? will end up in the history books as the first American patiots of the second revolution. You can only tax people but so much. I'm guessing that state income tax was a big consideration of Roys moving to FLA.

beekeep

Reply to
beekeep

Well..... Ya have a new member of the toasted buns club who has been silent of late. Perhaps he has been working on a way to heat a bench seat to enable him to warm both cheeks.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

Sorry I missed this earlier. Don't want you to feel ignored.

Moved to FL after freezeing my ass off playing trains in New England. Tax's were not a issue.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

I'm wondering what's up with him. Red and I have been bustin' his chops for a couple of day's via email with no response from him. You heard from him of late?

Figure if nothing in a few day's it will be time for a call. He could be real busy in the field though, harvest time and all.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

He surfaced. He was out in the fields planting carrot or some such.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

Huh, I thought he was sitting in the truck, with the engine idling, and the seat warmer switched on...

Reply to
PeterD