Travel Trailer charger lead? 98 Dodge 1/2 ton.

I am trying to find the wire that should be routed to the 7 pin trailer reciever to supply power to the trailer battery.My Dodge 1/2 ton 4x4 has a
partial tow package factory installed. There is a 40 amp fuse in the power dist. box that is marked as Trailer that leads to the Trailer relay which is also in the power Dist. box. From the relay there is a 12 ga. Black with orange wire that I am assuming is the charging lead going into the main harness. Any ideas where this wire terminates. I have a Haynes wireing schematic for this truck but it does not show it anywhere. Thanks in advance. Oz

I'm working from a '99 service manual, but those colors match up. They show a red/orange wire coming straight from the 40A fuse, and a black/orange going through the trailer tow relay, terminating at the trailer tow connector , with a splice in each. Those splices are located inside the driver's side frame rail, underneath the crossmember for the spare tire carrier. The RD/OR is a fused B+ connection - the BK/OR from the relay is for your trialer lights (relay is switched by the parking lamp circuit). Some other wires that you may find back in those wire bundles:
Brown/Red - right turn signal Violet/Black - reverse lights Light Blue - trailer brake output Black - ground (two of 'em) Dark Green/Red - left turn
Curiously, the service manual shows a 10-pin (5x2) connector. I'm assuming they plug into this with a mating connector and pigtail, that then goes to the 7-way trailer connector.
Thanks for the info Tom. So are you saying the Bl/Or is not the charging lead? Seeing as it is a heavier gauge wire I thought that was what it would be for. I think it would have been easier if the truck had no package installed at all. For example I traced the light blue elec. brake wire and it ended in the drivers side front wheel well. Thanks for the help Oz

oz wrote:

Yours might be wired like the '97. Read the messages on this page: http://www.dodgeram.org/tech/mods/electric/trailer_wire.htm
Thanks Nosey, that helps. Found the Red /Or. wire in a different plug but same location as the Light Blue wire. Btw. why when I reply to group is my post missing from my computor but showing up on everyone elses? Thx. Oz

That's right.

Nope. Depending on what kind of trailer you have, you could have upwards of 20 marker lights on it. That takes a lot of juice. The charging lead is a relatively low-amperage draw (trickle-charge).

That doesn't surprise me. Did it end there, or go into a connector that then ran into the firewall? The 4-pin brake controller connector is located right around there, on the inside of the cab.