Trouble trying to reverse

I have a 1995 ram 1500 automatic (5.9, 360 v8) that refuses to go into reverse when I put it into gear, until I give it a little gas, and then it slams into gear. My fluid level is good--I'm wondering if anybody has any
advice or possible diagnosis?

When's the last time you changed fluid/filter? When's the last time you checked the band adjustment? Your rear band could be out of adjustment.
Does it do this all the time, or only when you first start up? If only at first start, put it in neutral for a few seconds, then see if it will go into reverse smoothly.
I had this kind of trouble on my last several vans. Eventually, it gets worse, and I had to take it to an transmission shop to have the whole thing rebuilt.
You may buy some time with the fluid and filter change.
No fun to have a van that only does first and second gears. Takes a lot of planning, to get in and out of places with no reverse gear.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.
My fluid level is good--
I'm wondering if anybody has any advice or possible diagnosis?
================ <<the followin is only advice and diagnostic help>> <<for a real repair.....please see a tech, not a computer>>
Preliminary Diagnosis Indicates Further Diagnosis IS Needed.
Scan it and Pan it.
then.....yank it out cuz....
it's broke.
broke baaaadddd
it's broke inside. you can't fix it.
don't try.
Ain't no doubt........it's gotta come out.
Make em cry with an RDI. (remove,dissasemble,inspect) (aka....gotcha)
~~FINAL SUGGESTION~~
Use the experience life has given you to formulate a plan of attack, given the info you have been provided.
~~END SUGGESTIONS AND DIAGNOSEES~~
~:~ MarshMonster ~hopes you watch 60 minutes~
:)
~:~