truck tranny fluid

what could be the reason my fluid isnt flowing threw coolant lines.....changed filter ...it works fine for 50-100 miles...then starts wynning stops working....thanks

Reply to
Mike Cheek

something is shedding friction material and plugging up the filter

probably the lining of the torque converter clutch

plus, since converter out = cooler in, the radiator cooler is probably packed solid with crap

and if you have one with the cheesy 'check ball to prevent converter drain-back' set-up in the cooler line, THAT part of the plumbing is probably solid with debris, too

Reply to
TranSurgeon

ive blown out lines with cleaner...also radiator....i go from Idle to drive.....trans. fluid flows great sometimes...sometimes none...is that normal....last filter change filter ok....your help is a blessing....hope your still here.....

Reply to
Mike Cheek

definitely not normal

Reply to
TranSurgeon

Im baffled.....every tranny shop here starts talking rebuild the minute I call....it shifts great till the trans fluid quits flowing....weird

Reply to
Mike Cheek

Usually because if it's something inside the trans (worn pump, maybe), then it's gotta be pulled... and at that point, the extra labor to tear it completely down and re-build it is pretty minimal, and parts aren't all that much either (full master rebuild kits can be had at retail for around $200)... so if a shop's going to go through the effort to pull the trans and fix something, and guarantee that fix, they want to be sure that two weeks later, some other worn (and unreplaced) part doesn't fail, causing them more work to re-pull and re-re-fix the trans. Forget about explaining to the customer, "well, ya see, you only wanted us to repair the pump... now one of your piston seals let go, so we have to charge you again because it's a different problem"... 99 out of a hundred customers will want to reach for the nearest heavy object to fling in their direction.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Very good point......

Reply to