turbo doesn't whistle anymore

1990..Cummins 252,000 miles..never a problem ,but ,I've noticed I can't hear that 'whistle' anymore when I leave the back window open. Why ?
The turbo is still 'winding down" when I shut the engine down & get out &
walk to the tailpipe...

Partially plugged air filter?

Old age? Tinnitis? I can't hear mine wind down because the constant ringing in my ears from years of working around jets drowns it out ;-(
'grin"
old age...me ,or the truck ? :>}
new air filter 3 weeks ago.... might be from 15 years of turning the radio up to drown out the rattles...

Ahhh, Yessss! My favorite answer to people who complain about the noisy diesel - "You buy the $600 stereo option and use it like a teenager. Diesel clatter? What diesel clatter?"
Old age ? maybe hearing loss...but ,when it was from 1 -12 years old ,I could open the slider window & hear the whistle...can't notice it anymore..ode to the good ol' days. The truck was 21,000 new,,I could fill the tank for $18.....now it's $68. It's kinda hard to justify a diesel anymore unless you're going to tow a heavy trailer....

,I
fill
tow a

I get 24 miles to the gallon, at least on the last tank. at 2.30 gallon that's 69 bucks. gas at 2.00 is 60 bucks. I think the math still works. Our new company truck, a Ford 150 gets 17 at the very best, and our F250 gets 14 at best. Oil change for the gassers is $24.00 every 3500 miles, for the diesel it's $60.00 every 6000 miles. The engine filters maintenance cost is higher with the diesel, but the truck will go 4 to 5 hundred thousand too. It's about a wash when you add it all up. Granted it's not what it was when diesel prices were realistic, but you can make an easy case in my opinion.
Just make sure you buy the diesel at about a year old. Let someone else pay the depreciation. :)
Clay
the problem ..at least around here...is trying to get the REST of the truck to go 300,000 miles !!!! That would take me 22 years at my present rate. My truck is 15..it was a work truck for the first 5,but,I've put fenders on it twice,a rear bumper (rusted thru), rotors 3 times.. BUT..the dumb thing still has the ORIGINAL exhaust system !!! The clamps have rusted off,but she doesn't leak !...go figure !!