Turkey Day

Page 1 of 3
So, what is everyone's plans for the day and if you are cooking a bird, how do you plan on doing it?
We are having our best friends from down in S.V up for the weekend,
with a 16# bird and a 6# ham bbq'd and lightly smoked w/all the fixin's

Plans include a BBQ Turkey, Smoked Turkey, Baked Turkey and someone is bringing a ham cooked somehow. All the trimmins; dressing, sweet potato pie, corn, green bean cassorole, sweet potato pie, triffle, punch, sweet potato pie, wine ($2 Chuck???), ambrosia, merlot, sweet potato pie and probably some stuff to nibble on if hunger persists.
For the BBQ Turkey (18 - 22#), been thinking of doing it this way... http://www.cookingforengineers.com/recipe/144/Smoked-Beer-Can-Turkey or http://tinyurl.com/2leup9
The Smoked Turkey will be smaller, around 10 - 12#, smoked in a water smoker (no, not a bong) using a smoking sauce of corn oil margarine, sherry, worchestershire sauce, soy sauce, garlic parsley, salt and water.
The Baked Turkey (18 - 22#) will be the "Two Hour Turkey", a first for me. Look at http://turkey.safeway.com/ for details. (475*F, no stuffing)
I only have 35 friends/family coming this year and there should be plenty to divy up and send home with them... again. Should be a great, fun day.
FMB (North Mexico)
Damn man, I couldn't handle that many people at one time! I think my family would kill eachother! LOL
So, what is the purpose of brining the bird?

It is supposed to add flavor and moisture. Check out http://bbq.about.com/cs/turkey/a/aa110103a.htm
Its my first time brining too.
FMB (North Mexico)
FMB wrote:

Brining adds a bit of moisture and flavor to just about any meat. It is basically a marinade without all the extra crap.
Anyone doing a Deep-Fried turkey (besides me)
--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York

I'm a vegetarian... about 30 years now.
azwiley1 wrote:

I gonna deep-fry two turkeys if it don't rain (fat chance). My brother and sister in law are driving my nephew Billy down here to see me in the Peachtree Desert (Alanta) from Pennsylvania with their diesel Jetta. We're gonna shoot up the birds with spices that'd make Barry Bonds cry. Then we're going to boil the birds in pure Georgia peanut oil. For dessert we're going to say a few prayers, do a rain dance, and then throw measured amounts of potash and some of my special XXX-kick-ass-in-a-jug whisky into the hot turkey pot and pray to the gods of transesterification to smile upon us. The leftovers just might succomb to the powers of Dr. Rudy himself and submit themselves into becoming ethyl ester biodiesel. If they pass a quick 3/27 test they might jump into the 'dub's tank all on their own and kick some yankee ass back up highway 41 to the wrong side of the Mason Dixon. Billy can stay.
--
Uncle Kenny

I think I'm going to the a.a.d.t. dinner. Remember this one
http://www.radix.net/~honeybs/dodgeng.jpg ?
beekeep

Dang, you kept that?!?! <BG>
Denny

Yeah <snurf>, I remember <snurf>, I wasn't invited.......
:^(
Mike

So,any word on how crazy ol' Budd might be/is doing?

About 6 months ago The friggin' rabbit made some calls to where we thought he was living. We used phone information to obtain the numbers. One was never answered and one said they never heard of him iirc. It sorta became a dead end after that. Imo, I believe he may have suffered a stroke or worse. His posting towards the end indicated something real wrong with his thought process. Or perhaps he fell off the wagon and went to booze again.
Seeing as I have a bunch of spare time between trips to the beach, so I'll look around some more and see what I can come up with.

Haven't heard a word outa Budd since he disappeared from here. Tried a couple of phone numbers and still nothing. I wish him the best whatever happened..
Denny

His yahoo profile is still there but it hasn't been updated since February. He and his wife still have a phone number listed in the Moab white pages at the same address that's shown on his yahoo profile. I just searched his name in the Moab Times-Independent and got nothing.
--
Ken

Maybe call the number??
Roy

It's the same number that I gave you before. I think it's one of them Denny already tried.
--
Ken

Okay, I think that is the one that wasn't answered. Did you grab a street address?
Roy
Roy wrote:

It's all public info but I still don't feel right posting on a newsgroup. Is your e-mail still the comcast one?
--
Ken

No, I'm using a FL addy I'll get it to ya.

Got it.
--
Ken