Turkey Day

So, what is everyone's plans for the day and if you are cooking a bird, how do you plan on doing it?

We are having our best friends from down in S.V up for the weekend, with a 16# bird and a 6# ham bbq'd and lightly smoked w/all the fixin's

Reply to
azwiley1

Plans include a BBQ Turkey, Smoked Turkey, Baked Turkey and someone is bringing a ham cooked somehow. All the trimmins; dressing, sweet potato pie, corn, green bean cassorole, sweet potato pie, triffle, punch, sweet potato pie, wine ($2 Chuck???), ambrosia, merlot, sweet potato pie and probably some stuff to nibble on if hunger persists.

For the BBQ Turkey (18 - 22#), been thinking of doing it this way...

or
The Smoked Turkey will be smaller, around 10 - 12#, smoked in a water smoker (no, not a bong) using a smoking sauce of corn oil margarine, sherry, worchestershire sauce, soy sauce, garlic parsley, salt and water.

The Baked Turkey (18 - 22#) will be the "Two Hour Turkey", a first for me. Look at

for details. (475*F, no stuffing) I only have 35 friends/family coming this year and there should be plenty to divy up and send home with them... again. Should be a great, fun day.

FMB (North Mexico)

Reply to
FMB

Damn man, I couldn't handle that many people at one time! I think my family would kill eachother! LOL

So, what is the purpose of brining the bird?

Reply to
azwiley1

punkin:

I'm a vegetarian... about 30 years now.

Reply to
Beryl

It is supposed to add flavor and moisture. Check out

Its my first time brining too.

FMB (North Mexico)

Reply to
FMB

I gonna deep-fry two turkeys if it don't rain (fat chance). My brother and sister in law are driving my nephew Billy down here to see me in the Peachtree Desert (Alanta) from Pennsylvania with their diesel Jetta. We're gonna shoot up the birds with spices that'd make Barry Bonds cry. Then we're going to boil the birds in pure Georgia peanut oil. For dessert we're going to say a few prayers, do a rain dance, and then throw measured amounts of potash and some of my special XXX-kick-ass-in-a-jug whisky into the hot turkey pot and pray to the gods of transesterification to smile upon us. The leftovers just might succomb to the powers of Dr. Rudy himself and submit themselves into becoming ethyl ester biodiesel. If they pass a quick 3/27 test they might jump into the 'dub's tank all on their own and kick some yankee ass back up highway 41 to the wrong side of the Mason Dixon. Billy can stay.

Reply to
Nosey

I think I'm going to the a.a.d.t. dinner. Remember this one

? beekeep

Reply to
beekeep

Suddenly, without warning, azwiley1 exclaimed (11/18/2007 1:14 PM):

Dunno yet, but it won't be a turkey. Out here in Oz, you practically have to mortgage your house to get a turkey.

We're still looking at options. A roast or chicken on the barbie. Trying to talk hubby into some yabbies (big crayfish) but so far no luck.

It'd be different, anyway.

It's hard to believe T-day's just around the corner. It's going into summer here, and as usual already hotter than heck. Getting close to

100f later this week.

jmc

Reply to
jmc

Dang, you kept that?!?!

Denny

Reply to
Denny

well I'm cheating a bit, going over to my sister's house for thanksgiving dinner all of my family will be there and my sister's in-laws too. so that should be fun. i think they are doing a baked turkey, oyster dressing, green beans, mashed taters & some kinda gravy, oh yea granny is cooking her famous pecan pie. for that dinner.

then Friday my wife wants me to fry a small turkey so her sister and nephew can come over since they live down here and wasn't invited to my sister's house. so we will do a small dinner then too. I'm afraid i will be turkey'd out by the time we drop that one in the oil though.

Reply to
Christopher Thompson

Brining adds a bit of moisture and flavor to just about any meat. It is basically a marinade without all the extra crap.

Anyone doing a Deep-Fried turkey (besides me)

Reply to
Steve W.

-0800 (PST), azwiley1

So,any word on how crazy ol' Budd might be/is doing?

Reply to
azwiley1

Yeah , I remember , I wasn't invited.......

:^(

Mike

Reply to
Mike Simmons

About 6 months ago The friggin' rabbit made some calls to where we thought he was living. We used phone information to obtain the numbers. One was never answered and one said they never heard of him iirc. It sorta became a dead end after that. Imo, I believe he may have suffered a stroke or worse. His posting towards the end indicated something real wrong with his thought process. Or perhaps he fell off the wagon and went to booze again.

Seeing as I have a bunch of spare time between trips to the beach, so I'll look around some more and see what I can come up with.

Reply to
Roy

Haven't heard a word outa Budd since he disappeared from here. Tried a couple of phone numbers and still nothing. I wish him the best whatever happened..

Denny

Reply to
Denny

We were in your neck o the woods Thursday, Larry... Did the T-day shopping in Yuma... Planning on a quiet day at home with another couple, turkey, ham, yams, pie, etc.. They don't have electricity yet, as we didn't last T-day, so we're rolling the karma through.. Last year we were at a friends home because they knew we didn't have power yet..

I'm doing my first art show here on the 24th and 25th so I'm going to be pretty busy this week...

Hope everyone has a great one!

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

His yahoo profile is still there but it hasn't been updated since February. He and his wife still have a phone number listed in the Moab white pages at the same address that's shown on his yahoo profile. I just searched his name in the Moab Times-Independent and got nothing.

Reply to
Nosey

Maybe call the number??

Roy

Reply to
Roy

It's the same number that I gave you before. I think it's one of them Denny already tried.

Reply to
Nosey

Okay, I think that is the one that wasn't answered. Did you grab a street address?

Roy

Reply to
Roy