Turning rotors and front pads

Page 1 of 2
Can anyone tell me what a fair amount would be to turn the front rotors and install new pads on the front of an 04 Dodge ram 1500 4x4 with hemi? The
stealership wants $350.00 to do mine with 30,000 original miles and original pads on truck. Should they wear out this quick? It seems like alot to me but I'm not in the business. Thanks Howard.

as I work at a "stealership". Sorry....
Denny

Roy wrote:

gotta go to one of those shoots. There is one in Tennessee in the spring and fall...Knob Creek or something like that. I hear it is really awesome to see.
Denny

Oooops! Disregard my other post, I didn't see this. When in the spring? When in the fall? I'm thinking we could meet up there. Or back to plan A or we could do both. I'd like to see one of those shoots myself. I wonder where they got the green tracer.
Roy

Are you two taking the Snoman with you?
HELLO???
FMB (North Mexico)

Perhaps for a target.<G>

Hi!!
roy

Yeah, I wuz gonna help too, but he wouldn't believe me either.
Mike

The factory pads are crap and don't last very long. Are the rotors damaged??? If not. leave them alone as turning them usually takes the life right out of them and if they are, just replace them as it will be about the same cost.

"Hp" < snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net> wrote in message

I guess it depends on the driver, I got darned near 50,000 on mine before I replaced them.
Denny

Yup, and with ALL that weight. <G>
Roy

Yup, depends on the driver and where drives. I think I went about 55k on my first fronts and just changed out front and rear at about 110k miles. Backs probably could have stayed on for another 15-20k, but what the heck. Same smooth rotors. I only smoked them all one time.
As I was pullin my 5th down the Klondike Highway to Skagway, there is a long, long downhill stretch. The scenery is so beautiful, I didn't notice I was riding the brakes untill I started smelling em. I had to find a long place to slow down and stop, and when I did, all 4 wheels were smokin really bad. Nice place to stretch our legs for awhile. I was only into my front pads about 5k miles at the time.
FMB (North Mexico)
I don't even think I got 30,000
"Denny" < snipped-for-privacy@woh.rr.com> wrote in message

You spend some time in traffic don't you?
If the rabbit see's more than 10 cars on the road in a week........ <VBG>

$100 per wheel and rotors about $100. Michael

You sure you don't want to revise your numbers?
To the guys that answered my questions ,thanks, to the guys that work at the stealership don't assume that those of us that know absolutely nothing about mechanics won't believe you. I would just rather see my hard earned cash go to the actual mechanic for good honest work rather than be added to the general income of the dealership. For example the 30K service on my 04 ram hemi quad cost me 691.37 yesterday. Not bad huh? Thank god that the drivers side outer tie rod end was coveed by the warranty.
You sure you don't want to revise your numbers?

You sure you don't want to revise your numbers?

I forgot to answer your question. Yes, it's high. A set of pads is approx $80 and two hours labor at the going rate. Our rate for brakes and other maint. type work is $52/hr. Don't forget to add on $10 for shop supplies and tax.
Denny
You sure you don't want to revise your numbers?