typical 4.7 mileage?

Page 3 of 4
Nathan W. Collier wrote:

Wow! You nice daddy!
My stingy parents made a show of giving me a key to the family VW Beetle as an 18th birthday present.
Then I could only use the key when they said it was OK!
SMH

thanks. im just trying to make it difficult on the poor soul who takes her away from us. :-) http://inlinediesel.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID 4
--
Nathan In Montana
http://ConcealedCarryForum.com

Hey, at least your parents gave you a car. Mine wouldn't even let me get a *license* until I could afford to pay the increase in their insurance - which I couldn't.
Bought my first car when I was in my early 20s. a 1976 Chevy Chevette.
jmc
jmc wrote:

They gave me rights to the car!
I didn't get my own car until I was 24!
SMH
Suddenly, without warning, Stephen Harding exclaimed (11/3/2007 9:52 PM):

Hey, at least you had something to drive. Like I said, I wasn't even allowed to have a *license* (because I couldn't afford the insurance increase dear old Dad insisted I pay), so once my learners' permit expired, I couldn't even drive until I left home.
Yea, this is where I say I walked to college through the snow, five miles, uphill, both ways :)
Argh. But I gotta Dakota now, and paid for it with my own damn money, not even the bank's, so it's all better now. Balances out, I guess.
jmc

Hey, I'd have given ya a ride if I'd have seen ya. You can't be scared of old guys in bunny suits can ya???
Denny

Old very fat guy in a bunny suit!

Suddenly, without warning, Denny exclaimed (11/4/2007 5:23 AM):

Um. Actually, yes. 'Cause where I went to college, if you wandered around in a bunny suit and survived to be an *old* guy in a bunny suit, you had to be a pretty tough customer!
:)

Maybe tough but lovable....... <G>
Denny

Maybe "White Rabbit" was him before he came out of the closet and went pink? I guess he forgot to take the "one that makes you small"..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

You were an old guy when he was in college?
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

Yep... I was an old guy when "she" was in college......
Denny
jmc wrote:

And you're a better person for it!!
It still sort of bugs me to see "kids today" (tm) with their own *new* cars provided by Mom and Dad driving off to High School!
Nobody seems to even start out with a klunker that they work on in their spare time and spend all their money on!
Perhaps that's good. Instead of spending all their spare change keeping an old junk box car running they can spend it on...
SMH
Suddenly, without warning, Stephen Harding exclaimed (11/4/2007 7:35 PM):

.... yea, on what? That old klunker teaches the inklings of fiscal responsibility. Spend the $ on booze, you find yourself walking a lot.
Well, if the parents did their research right the old klunker wouldn't need so much work to be kept running.
My first car, bought in 1987, was a bright yellow 1976 Chevy Chevette with about 80k miles on it. Paid about $700. I did my research though, and it was a sound little car. When I sold it a couple of years and 40k later, I'd put maybe $200 worth of repairs into that little thing. Broken U-joint and a bad solenoid. Not bad for an 11- year old car.
Incidentally, I saw that car again circa 1997. It was still on the road!
Sometimes I still miss old Mello Yello...
jmc "my first car was a 'vette"
jmc wrote:

I remember the Chevette. Almost bought one. My first car was a hand me down 1974 Vega. Great little car until it started to burn oil. Then lookout. That car had the most comfortable front bucket seats that I've ever owned. Which was great because the car sure couldn't get out of it's own way. I had to turn off the A/C to get onto the highway. I remember the day I traded the car in. The salesman drove over to the appraiser and had to let the smoke clear for 10 minutes before he went inside to get him.
Bob
Suddenly, without warning, Bob M exclaimed (11/6/2007 2:11 AM):

yea. Drove over the Powder River Pass in Wyoming at a blazing 30mph. Yello didn't have AC, so that wasn't a problem. I got that little car up to 65mph once (downhill, tailwind) and I thought it was going to shake itself apart.
Reliable, yes. Speed demon, it was not.
Yello hadn't started burning oil, but I lived in Northern VA and I was getting kinda tired waiting forever for a gap in traffic large enough for me to pull out. That's one reason I have the 4.7 v8. The gaps don't need to be large for me to get the Dak up to speed :)
jmc

They probably were right, too... lol
My folks gave me their worn out 49 Chevy when I was 16... I think it took me about 90 days to blow it up... Followed by an old Fury when I went to college... I blew that one up learning to street race with in a few months.. lol
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

'02 Dakota QC, 5.9L: 12 MPG. Bought it when gas was $1.75/gal. Sold it after gas hit $3.00. Last Dodge I'll ever own. Made me a believer in CAFE standards.
I had a '79 Chevy 3/4 ton van, 350 V8, 4-barrel carb, 3-speed auto. ~20MPG.
Suddenly, without warning, Nathan W. Collier exclaimed (11/2/2007 3:55 PM):

Seems a bit low to me, if it's in good shape. My 2001 Dak with that engine got a bit over 17mpg back in the states, about 50/50 bumper-to-bumper and highway. Right now, I think it's getting about 16 but that's mostly town driving @ 30-50mph.
jmc
My '04 Durango with the 4.7 started out at around 13.6. After 21,000 miles it gets about 15.5.