Unfriggin'believeable

Was out with a friend looking at the new Mega Cab's. What a damn disappointment. A suppoosedly HD 4x4 truck that you can't put a plow on if you get the Cummins engine. So on a truck with the msrp over $54K the front end is so marginal that it can't handle a snow plow? That will cost DC some customers. I know my friend is going looking at Ford and I don't blame him.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

And people can't understand why I like my old vehicles . . . .

I believe the used value will take a jump on the older trucks now.

Budd

Reply to
Budd Cochran

Older vehicles are okay to a point. This Mega Cab deal has gotta be a design flaw.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

Are you kidding me? What is it that prevents a plow from being mounted? I was actually thinking this would be my next truck....but I require plow mounting.

Reply to
Carolina Watercraft Works

I see no problem with this at all. Just by its name suggests that this vehicle was not intended for plowing, more in line with transporting a family or large group around with the ability to tow a heavy trailer and do it in reasonable comfort. I bet that this vehicle is extremely heavy by itself and when you add the weight of the diesel to it, pushes the limits of the front end components. It is probably using the same front end as the crew cab to save money. I guess that my question would be why would you want to use a truck with such a large cab to plow snow? Is the extended cab model still available?

Reply to
TBone

Yep, they designed it to be an urban wannabe "truck" instead of a TRUCK, like that old D-150.

Budd

Reply to
Budd Cochran

To be able to carry your crew to sites with one vehicle.

Reply to
Carolina Watercraft Works

Not in the least.

Dunno, probably the same bs when they started with the quad cab. Couldn't put a plow with the Cummins with them either for the first year or so.

I'm thinking that the front axle once again is too light. You can put a plow on with the gas engine. Figure the gas is about 3-4 hundred pounds lighter.

A lot of people were. It is a shame, I can plow with my 2500 quad cab with a Cummins but with a 1 ton truck ya can't. I've a friend that has a 03 crew cab with a Cummins with a 9 foot fisher on it, no problem. Same wheel base as the mega but it is a no go.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

Kinda like a large quad cab or crew cab. I don't see where Mega Cab suggests not intended for plowing with a Cummins but it is okay with a gas engine. If that front end is that close to it's limits... we are talking about a $59K truck.

You can plow with a crew cab

To a contractor a truck is a tool, like a hammer or saw. If it is a 4X4 then it better be able to plow.

You mean a quad cab? Yes, with a cummins and plow.

Reply to
Roy

Then it's gotta be related to the suspension I'd think. If that's all it is then the next year or so will be ok to mount. Or...maybe aftermarket suspension upgrades will be the ticket.

Reply to
Carolina Watercraft Works

This is nothing unusual for DC to do. My 97 with a 5 speed has less towing capacity than the automatic of the same series and the 360 was not available with the 5 speed because the NV3500 simply was not up to the additional torque. They could have increased the spec for the NV3500 to handle it without limitations or just used a NV4500 but the NV3500 was already being used in the Dakota and costs less $$$$$ than the NV4500 and would work in the 1500 with limitations so that's what they did. It appears that they have since increased the spec but when I bought mine..... As for the term Mega, to me that sounds more like a luxury version of a crew cab and who plows with a luxury vehicle? Of course I don't plow and this is only my personal view on the matter.

But does the crew cab weigh less? This could be a re-use of parts issue like the trans in my truck. With the rising cost of fuel, they might not want to invest more into this model than absolutely necessary (different front end components) until they get an idea of demand and then will address these issues if they see it as profitable to do so or to even keep the model at all and the crew cab components were probably not designed to carry that increased weight.

While true, there are different types of hammers and saws and each one has it's intended use and are not all completely interchangable. I don't know how well my 4X4 (1500) would hold up plowing? Does the cab size have much of an effect on the ability to plow with the vehicle such as manuvering and blind spots?

I was actually talking about the one with the half sized back doors but even here, it seems that they still have a vehicle that can hold 5 people and still plow. I haven't seen this new model yet, does the mega-cab actually hold more people than the crew cab or does it just have more room for the same number of passengers (luxury version)?

Reply to
TBone

The model with the half-sized rear doors was called a Quad Cab. Starting in '03 (or '02 for the 1500's), that body style was discontinued, and the new "Quad Cab" was the four-door, all-open-the-same-way model.

More room. It's the same frame as the Quad-Cab Longbed model. They stretched the cab 20", and only offer it with a short bed, thereby keeping the same 160" wheelbase.

So, Dodge now has three cab choices, and two bed choices, for a total of five body configurations: Regular cab (SB/LB), Quad Cab (SB/LB), and Mega Cab (SB only).

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

------------------------------------------ Laszlo Almasi Cool Toys (formerly Carolina Watercraft Works) Ice Angels

Reply to
Carolina Watercraft Works

Interesting read. I question the performance claims though. Seems a tad quick for a 4100 pound car.

Roy ------------------------------------------

Reply to
Roy

I'm with TBone and Budd -- I love the old trucks -- who wants to get a brand new truck scratched up plowing when you can get a cheap old reliable D150? And if you really want something you can mount a plow on and use to carry the crew and tools, try an old cargo van -- not the same maneuverability but an all round relaiable work truck.

And while I am at it, imho I don't like the new dakotas -- too big

For $1000 cdn I have a set up with little work -- needed trans. for 400 in the old short box, so bought 74 powerwagon complete and running rough with no body left but plow, harness, 360+trans so am dropping out the 400 and doing a bit of body repair, new brakes and decent tires see truck:

click on projects rach

Reply to
Rachel Easson

I actually love my '01 2500 QC for plowing...and no scratches at all if you're careful. The guys I contract for up north have Fords and when it comes to the heavy stuff...they actually move out of my way since they can't compete when it comes to the heavy stuff. As for a van....I'd expect huge blind spots and that'd be more of a problem than anything else.

Reply to
Carolina Watercraft Works

Ok, thanks Tom. I was going by what Ford and GM seem to be doing. My buddy has a F350 extended cab which has the half sized doors in back and IIRC, they also make a crew cab that has full sized rear doors. I thought Dodge was doing the same thing. I have no need for an extended or crew cab so I don't pay much attention to them.

This goes along the line I was saying to Roy. It looks like this mega-cab is set up as their luxury pickup, not a work truck.

you read the description in here, it is obvious where this truck istargeted and althouhg it is still capable of doing work when needed, it ismore geared to family and comfort.

IOW, a work truck, a work truck / family hauler, and a luxury car that can work. I bet the main reason the diesel is offered in this model is to be able to offer a power plant that can do better than 10 MPG, LOL.

Reply to
TBone

The thing is that you are not going to do the kind of plowing down here that Roy and Denny do up north although at least up there, people know how to drive.

Reply to
TBone

I haven't seen it yet.. is it as big/roomy as the F-250?

My guess (though I don't know shit about snow or plowing) is that they were looking more at the RV market with the mega thing.. seems like a lot of money for a truck you're going to plow snow with..

Last time I was at the sealer, they had a standard cab 2500 HD with the cummins for about $30k... seems like more of what you'd use?

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

It is huge in the back seat.

Seems like a lot of money for a 4X4 truck you CAN'T plow snow with.

Here is what you folks may be missing. YOU CAN PLOW WITH THE MEGA CAB but with the GAS ENGINE ONLY!! That is what has folks around here questioning the strength of the truck.

Some use the standard cab. My 2K was. But it is nice to get dual use out of a truck especially at the price of the Mega Cab. My Quad Cab gives me that,

4 doors, seating for a couple of more people or a place to put stuff that is secure, a 6 foot bed that the atv will fit in, and a Cummins under the hood. It dosen't really matter what is behind the drivers seat when plowing snow. It can be a 8 foot bed or a dump body. The diesel is real important.

Bro, wasn't yelling at you, just making a point in general.

Roy

Reply to
Roy