UPDATE 4, Bad News -- Replacing rear bearings on a Dodge pickup?

Page 2 of 2

If there's a chance that you're not going to like the answer, don't ask the question. Yeah, I have a high opinion of myself. See if you can figure out the difference between that and your big fat ego.

Uh... It's right up top in the headers.

Nope.
Nope.
You'd have to ask my wife.

"Harley comma too?" No Carl, I don't own a Harley, but I'm sure you'll think of something else to project about.

Yes he does. Your point is?

Time for you to head on back to alt.bs'ers.knowitall.shopgrunt

It may look that way, but no... the crush sleeve is only there to apply pre-load. In fact, when measuring pinion depth, it is done without the crush sleeve installed.
Since the rear bearing's race is in a fixed position, and the bearing is in a fixed position on the pinion (pressed up against the shims, which are up against the back side of the gear), how can the depth of the pinion gear be altered by compressing the crush sleeve? Where's the movement occurring that would change the depth?

And, in fact, pinion depth measurement is done without preload.

Yes - it's the amount of pressure being exerted onto the bearing. With 50 pounds or 500 pounds of pressure on a bearing/race, the distance from the outer edge of the bearing to the outer edge of the race is going to be the same.

Well, since Carl has since retracted his statement, how about 'I'm right?'

No it doesn't.

You don't have to set the bearing pre-load before measuring pinion depth. Pinion depth is merely a static measurement from the back face of the pinion gear to the ring gear line. All that is needed is the pinion gear, rear pinion bearing and rear bearing outer race.

If you think about what you're asserting, the crush sleeve is stronger than the rear pinion bearing, race and the axle case.
If I'm doing an in chassis rebuild, I might be inclined to install the front pinion bearing, pre-load it and take my depth measurement, if it's a bench top rebuild or on a ChryCo 8.75 or a Ford 9", gravity works quite well to hold the pinion in place. Sorry, I just don't see 15-25 in.lb. of bearing pre-load moving the rear pinion bearing and race a whole hell of a lot, certainly not within the resolution of the shims that are currently available.

beekeep

And exactly how do you think it does that?

causing them to overheat, wear and fail. The nut would then become loose , vibrate off, and then you would really have problems.
beekeep

That doesn't answer the question Greg. I know what it does and asked you HOW it does it. Think about its name and then if it can be re-used.

Greg in this something that you learned in your S&M class? :^)

On Sun, 24 Sep 2006 20:37:51 GMT, Ignoramus1162

bananas and/or sawdust, and trade it in on a Ford....
Unka George (George McDuffee)
I sincerely believe . . . banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies, and that the principle of spending money to be paid by posterity, under the name of funding, is but swindling futurity on a large scale. Thomas Jefferson (17431826), U.S. president. Letter, 28 May 1816, to political philosopher and Senator John Taylor
On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 22:58:43 -0500, F George McDuffee

I had some rather lousy experiences with a "ford" previously.
I think that for my next truck I will look into Toyota trucks. I hope that I can get a few years out of this one.