UPDATE: 99 ram rear end noise

Well, we got the ram back... the shudder and noise turned out to be rear end, again...

Last year, when we had the horrible howling noise, the dealer replace all the seals, bearings, etc., but not clutches or gears.. Several of the folks here said that the gears should have been replaced also..

They opened the pumpkin and found metal in the oil again, and this time did it right... new pinion, etc... and also admitted that they SHOULD have done this the first time... even extended our warranty to cover rear end for another year..

It turns out that the (new) service manager found that there was a "parts advisory" in the computer that wasn't on the invoice, calling for new gears... It seems to work great now and they didn't even try to get the $100 "per occurrence" charge on the extended warranty... (and they even remembered to put the LSD additive in!)

thanks for the help, folks!!

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

"user1686" wrote: > Well, we got the ram back... the shudder and noise turned out > to be rear end, > again... > > Last year, when we had the horrible howling noise, the dealer > replace all the > seals, bearings, etc., but not clutches or gears.. > Several of the folks here said that the gears should have been > replaced also.. > > They opened the pumpkin and found metal in the oil again, and > this time did it > right... new pinion, etc... and also admitted that they SHOULD > have done this > the first time... even extended our warranty to cover rear end > for another > year.. > > It turns out that the (new) service manager found that there > was a "parts > advisory" in the computer that wasn't on the invoice, calling > for new gears... > It seems to work great now and they didn't even try to get the > $100 "per > occurrence" charge on the extended warranty... (and they even > remembered to put > the LSD additive in!) > > thanks for the help, folks!! > > > mac > > Please remove splinters before emailing

Sounds like a good dealer that stands behind their work. Generally when bearing are worn bad enough to require changing them, the gears should be changed because they will likely be worn too.

Reply to
SnoMan

The thing is that changing the gears, especially the pinion add a whole new level of difficulty that most would rather avoid if possible.

Reply to
TBone

Bro, that's good news!! I can only imagine the problems of a troublesome rear end could be especially at your age.

The VN Moving Wall is here, tonight there is a thing for the nurses. Going to go and probably awaken some ghosts. But it is what it is.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

It is only as difficult as you make it. It is actually easier to setup new gear with new bearings than old gears with new bearings. I know as I have done it both ways. When you setup a old gear with new bearings you need to get the EXACT pattern as you had before (whether it was right or wrong to begin with) because gear is worn in and it may be noisy or become noisy if you do not get it back to same point.

Reply to
SnoMan

I guess that depends on what bearings you are replacing. If you are just replacing just the carrier bearings, it is very easy to get the pattern back and unless the gears show signs of wear, I would leave them alone but if you are replacing the pinion bearings, then it would make sense to replace the gears if they have any mileage on them.

Reply to
TBone

replace

Where the trouble starts is that usually the gears have worn in some and the backlash is beyond spec and when someone replaces carrier (or pinion) bearing that attempt to reset back lash tigher and sometimes this works but most of the time it results in early gear failure because of a change of cantact stress point. When ever you replace a carrier or its bearing, you should always record backlash before you remove the carier and reset it to the same amount afterwards (or very close to it)

Reply to
SnoMan

Hey Mac!

I have a 99 with LSD as well....would really appreciate some info on your problem...how many miles on your unit...service history etc.

Fred

Reply to
Fred

the general feeling of the group at the time was that if the oil was burned and had metal in it, that even if the gears looked ok, they might have been damaged or softened from the heat..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

yeah, almost as bad as it would be at YOUR age.. *eg* it's now a 99/04/05 ram with rebuilt tranny, new u-joints and a rebuilt differential... now, if we can get the engine to blow up before the warranty is up next october..

The wall was here last month, bro.. 3rd time I've seen it, but it hit pretty hard this time... they're adding names as those that were severely wounded pass on... they claim that those dead from agent orange "complications" will be added, too..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Fred.. we got it "new to us" with 58k on it, so we don't know the service history, only that it wasn't serviced at our local dealer..

at about 64k, it started making kind of a whining noise... got worse and worse and they were finally able to track it to the differential, after inspecting and replacing the u-joints... they thought that the noise was u-joints but that didn't help.. (well, it helped US, since it was warranty work)

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

I'm sure if you work at it hard enough.....

I know what you mean. Each time you look at all those names, it is so sad. I still have a hard time with it. Finally was able to find and touch the name of a bro I was real tight with, guess that is a step. The tribute that was done for the nurse's was real moving, wasn't a dry eye there. Hell bro, I don't know how anybody can look at the Wall and not shed a tear.

You would think that the boys in Washington would learn.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

yeah, this last visit, I took a couple of the grand kids with us.... tried to explain to then that every name on that wall was a real person that was taken away from their family... (these 2 understood, they lost their dad 3 years ago)

tried to get them to imagine all those people, most of them teenagers, that will never come home... It's hard because when you have almost 60,000 names, I have a hard time wrapping my mind around it...