Update to 01 dakota brakes grabbing

Here is a previous post I made a few weeks ago... I just replaced the rotors and pads on my 01 dakota quad cab 3.9 last summer.I noticed it before,but even more since I changed them that there seems to be no gradual braking,its all at the end of the pedal travel and it grabs hard on both sides,not just one. I havent checked the rears yet as we had a ice storm,but I really noticed this in the snow lol. Is this just how the dakota stops or is this a sign of a bad master cylinder,etc? Its like the first 90% of the pedal travel doesn't do much and then when you push harder,they lock up.

Well I took it in today.The brakes are totally fine,the linings and drums are good.Fluid is fine,the whole system is fine.I just find it hard to believe it stops this hard but they said they would adjust it for me. The bad part is on replacing the front tires,the frickin ball joints are bad,so tires and ball joints cost me $1000. Great!!! God I wish this hunk of garbage would explode,it is by far the biggest hunk of crap I ever driven.Its got 60k miles,it's a 3.9 V6 and it gets 150 miles to a full tank of gas in the city.I really wish it would catch fire. Do I sound bitter today lol?

Reply to
RH

IIrc sombody told you to adjust the rear brakes.

I'd guess it is a 2wd, so the parts are around $150.00 The tires around $150.00. So IF you did it yourself you would have saved around $650 -$700

Great!!! God I wish this hunk of

Reply to
Roy

I've got no tools other than a socket set and I have never even seen a ball joint and I use it to travel about 120miles round trip to my summer place every weekend so I figured I would just have it done right. I can do the front brakes but I have no clue about much else with suspension and brakes unfortunately.

Reply to
RH

I don't know if it applied to all Dakotas, but when they recalled the Rams with bad ball joints, I got a letter that for my 01 Dakota 3.9 they were extending the ball joint warranty to 10 yrs/100k miles. Might be worth some research.

Gary B.

Reply to
Gary

Suddenly, without warning, Gary exclaimed (3/16/2008 11:10 AM):

Applied to my 2001 Dakota, were replaced @ no cost to me.

jmc

Reply to
jmc