upgrades for v6 magnum engine

Page 1 of 2
I'm looking for a few upgrades for my 04 Dakota 3.7 liter v6 magnum engine. I'm looking for a cold air intake and anything to help boost my gas mileage.
I know that I'm probably not going to get much, but anything has got to help. Any suggestions?
Thanks, Glytter77
04 Dakota V6 01 Mustang GT Convertible 01 Firebird Formula 71 Firebird
Does that have a manual clutch fan or electric?
Laszlo Almasi
Its an automatic transmission.

The transmission has nothing to do with the "fan".
Laszlo Almasi
if i knew the answer, id tell u.

Look at the cooling fan behind the radiator. Does it have a belt running to it that connects to the other items on the motor? Or is it electric and have wires running to a motor? If you have a manual clutch on the fan run by the motor, then switching to an electric fan setup will free up some HP and give you better economy. It doesn't "add" hp....but you will feel more. Less work for the motor = increased economy.
Laszlo Almasi

i don't think this guy is qualified to do any upgrades. if he can't even figure out what a engine cooling fan is and if it has any relationship to the transmission.
for the OP. keep the tires inflated properly, have a tune up and drive the speed limit. take the savings from not buying a bunch of upgrades and buy a few tanks of fuel. michael
I tend to agree with you.
On another note nunya...not sure if I asked you this before, but do you play an online game called DFX by chance?
Laszlo Almasi

michael
Gotcha, I use it as a stress release for the complexities of life myself.
Laszlo Almasi
Just as an fyi... I'm a female if you can't figure it out by the nick name. And any upgrades will be done by my husband. I was just looking for some information.

ahhh, i wasn't paying that close of attention to the OP's name just the topic. my advice stays the same though. mods may get you miniscule increases in mileage but very seldom will they be big enough to warrant the expense. good maintenance and driving habits are where the real savings are at. michael
I'm getting about 15-20% increase with the fan setup.
Laszlo Almasi

back in my serious hotrodding days i used a lot of electric fans. they let me down on a couple of occasions but watching the temp gauge keeps it from becoming critical. lots of smaller marginalized vehicles use electric fans. i shy away from them now because i have marginalized all of my electrical systems. all of my trucks have at least two or three high power ham radios and the necessary amps to throw out my signal. add to this at least two stereo amps powering massive sound systems in each truck, g.p.s., onboard laptop computers and an array of other gadgets and i have each amp calculated and there is no headroom left to add anything. in fact i have to add at least two big capacitors into the systems of each truck to meet peak demand at times. michael

mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
to answer the other question, my husband says that it is and electric clutch fan.

Electric clutch fan??? Damn I'm getting old. What will they think of next.
I agree.....that must be one of those super dooper hybrid fans that Mr. Jetson designed.
Laszlo Almasi
sorry to bother you on this. Guess I will get my info from somewhere else.

These guys just like to poke fun, Glytter. Don't take that stuff too seriously.
If you didn't pick it up, it's either an electric-motor driven fan or an engine-driven fan with a viscous clutch on it. If it's driven by a belt, it's not an electric fan.
Ken