upgrades for v6 magnum engine

I'm looking for a few upgrades for my 04 Dakota 3.7 liter v6 magnum engine. I'm looking for a cold air intake and anything to help boost my gas mileage. I know that I'm probably not going to get much, but anything has got to help. Any suggestions?

Thanks, Glytter77

04 Dakota V6 01 Mustang GT Convertible 01 Firebird Formula 71 Firebird
Reply to
Glytter77

Does that have a manual clutch fan or electric?

Reply to
Carolina Watercraft Works

Performance electronics, like Mopar's performance computer, dual exhaust, intake spacer, performance/type intake and filter, synthetic lubricating fluids, MSD or comparable ignition system........and the one that will help the most...........a light foot........:-).

Ed

Reply to
Ed Medlin

Reply to
.boB

You telling him to go on a diet or something? hehehe

Reply to
Carolina Watercraft Works

Good tune up with stock parts. Make sure the tires are in good shape and inflated to the proper pressure. Don't bother with the "cold air kit". The stock system flows FAR more air than the engine will ever use and draws it from outside the engine compartment. 99% of the "cold air kits" get the air from inside the engine compartment, which is NOT a good place to find cold air. remove any crap that causes extra drag if possible. Things like roof mounted light bars, front visors and such. Learn how to drive for better economy. Plan your trips so you don't backtrack or make needless trips. Don't expect miracles. For the most part a truck is a truck and your not going to get high mileage driving a brick around.

Reply to
Steve W.

Reply to
Glytter77

Reply to
Glytter77

Don't be silly, he's saying to drop all the un-used stuff off the side of the truck while driving down the interstate.... You know, like tires on diagnal sides (only needed when you stop if you can keep the speed up and balance your load properly.....) The engine (only needed for taking off or when some clutz hits the brake.....), The passenger seat, the bed, the hood, the fenders, the bumper.... The tailgate.... Actually, you'd save a lot of time just buying a sheet of plywood, 4 of those coaster wheels that screw-on, and either a large rubber band or a rope to tow from another vehichle to get up speed to about 90 mph on the interstate.... Once up to speed, just yell "Get out of the way you moron!" and wear leather, folks will think your in the hell'sAngels.... Oh yeah, I almost forgot.... To be street legal, you need to have a friend screw in your license plate to your butt, and you better carry your registration papers and insurance papers with you....

Reply to
John H. Guillory

The transmission has nothing to do with the "fan".

Reply to
Carolina Watercraft Works

if i knew the answer, id tell u.

Reply to
Glytter77

Look at the cooling fan behind the radiator. Does it have a belt running to it that connects to the other items on the motor? Or is it electric and have wires running to a motor? If you have a manual clutch on the fan run by the motor, then switching to an electric fan setup will free up some HP and give you better economy. It doesn't "add" hp....but you will feel more. Less work for the motor = increased economy.

Reply to
Carolina Watercraft Works

i don't think this guy is qualified to do any upgrades. if he can't even figure out what a engine cooling fan is and if it has any relationship to the transmission.

for the OP. keep the tires inflated properly, have a tune up and drive the speed limit. take the savings from not buying a bunch of upgrades and buy a few tanks of fuel. michael

Reply to
nunya

I tend to agree with you.

On another note nunya...not sure if I asked you this before, but do you play an online game called DFX by chance?

Reply to
Carolina Watercraft Works

i don't play any games. not enough time for that. michael

Reply to
nunya

Gotcha, I use it as a stress release for the complexities of life myself.

Reply to
Carolina Watercraft Works

Just as an fyi... I'm a female if you can't figure it out by the nick name. And any upgrades will be done by my husband. I was just looking for some information.

Reply to
Glytter77

ahhh, i wasn't paying that close of attention to the OP's name just the topic. my advice stays the same though. mods may get you miniscule increases in mileage but very seldom will they be big enough to warrant the expense. good maintenance and driving habits are where the real savings are at. michael

Reply to
nunya

I'm getting about 15-20% increase with the fan setup.

Reply to
Carolina Watercraft Works

back in my serious hotrodding days i used a lot of electric fans. they let me down on a couple of occasions but watching the temp gauge keeps it from becoming critical. lots of smaller marginalized vehicles use electric fans. i shy away from them now because i have marginalized all of my electrical systems. all of my trucks have at least two or three high power ham radios and the necessary amps to throw out my signal. add to this at least two stereo amps powering massive sound systems in each truck, g.p.s., onboard laptop computers and an array of other gadgets and i have each amp calculated and there is no headroom left to add anything. in fact i have to add at least two big capacitors into the systems of each truck to meet peak demand at times. michael

Reply to
nunya