V10 poor towing performance

Page 1 of 4
Help! Just added a 23' fifth wheel camper, pulling it with a 1999 2500 V10. The trailer is only about 6500 pounds, so I thought the V10 would have no problem towing it. The rig tows great on flat highway or small
hills, but on bigger hills it slows down to about 50 and just wont go faster. It's an automatic, and I've tried with the OD off and on. Gas mileage is about 11 highway unloaded, 6 with the trailer. The truck runs great, and unloaded it's a rocket. 65000 miles, been well maintained and other than the poor towing performance it's a great truck. New MOPAR factory rebuilt trans at 50k, It seems ok and has a nice firm shift. Trans fluid is nice and clean.
Any ideas ? Plugged CAT ? I really want to keep this truck, but can't do 2000 mile trips with this really crappy towing performance.
Thanks

Your best bet is to take the truck to the local Dodge Dealer after you pull out all your personal stuff, and ask him to replace it with anything '03 and newer with a Cummins (305HP or better). I just got back from a camping trip (to Hat Creek, Mac) and got 20 unloaded and 12 pulling an Artic Fox 24-5N 5th.
Second best, and way far away from the Best Best, is check to see if you have the right rear end for towing. Milage will suffer but you may be able to pull the hills.
FMB

Stupid Idea. Very Stupid and expensive too and it will NEVER EVER pay for itself no matter how long you keep it. A well tuned and feed Dodge V10 with proper gears will tow anything a stock cummins will. Back in 03 in Colorado I ran accross this Dodge truck pulling this big 5th wheel through the rockies and he was making the bacon and passing everything even on grades. I caught up to him and passed him at a little over 80 in my burb (I has not towing) and it was a V10 not a CTD. It was impressive.

A few things here, what tires size do you have and what axle ratio? Also that engine is octane hungry and will run a lot better on 89 octane or better. Trying to feed that thing 87 octane towing especailly on a warm day is just about a crime. ----------------- TheSnoMan.com
.
wrote:

i disagree as i got rid of my v10 because of fuel milage and cost. 11 mpg city? he must have a lighter foot than i do. mine was 10 best. 5 to 6 towing sounds about right. i would suspect a air flow problem possibly, have it checked by someone who knows what they are looking at. or take the advice of FMB i would. i traded a 99 v10 for an 05 Cummins powered ram, and there is no comparison, absolutively NONE!! 19 city and 21 highway is far better than 10 and 13 unloaded oh not to mention the 16 towing. yup thats right a full 10 miles to the gallon more towing is what im seeing out of Cummins over my old v10. so yup it will pay for its self faster than you would think. especially with fuel at or over $3 a gal.

the fuel bill on a v10 is a crime!!!! who can afford 10 mpg or less towing or not??? give me diesel any day.
but I get it. you don't like diesel and that's your prerogative.
--
----------------------------
-Chris

I will bet that you fueled you V10 with 87 octane too. Contray to popular belief it is not the best choice but many that do not understand octane and engine true requirement hang on to 87 for dear life and then complain about power power and MPG. Sure it may never get great MPG but 89 octane is 30 cents cheaper than diesel here and diesel averaged abut 75 cents more a gallon last winter here and I expect the same this winter or higher still. So what are we saving here when you factor in truck option price too????? The V10 is likely one of the finest gas tow motors ever built (when feed properly) second only to a 8.1 maybe and WAY ahead of a higher HP rated Hemi in towing power. I nearly bought a Dodge 03 ext cab with a V10 and a 5 speed a few years ago. It was a very impressive truck power wise and would pull strongly from about 1000 RPM to past 4000 and never miss a beat. ----------------- TheSnoMan.com

With the lower compression of the V10, 87 octane is not a problem. I ran (heck, still do) 87 in my V10 in all but the hot summer months, where I would notice a slight ping on WOT acceleration, with a Mopar PCM (which advances the timing). When I switched back to the stock PCM, I couldn't get it to ping.
So, contrary to YOUR belief (and it's just that - a belief, as - with many other things - you have no first-hand experience to offer... just a bunch of pontifications, half-truths, and down-right rediculous claims), 87 octane is not a problem in this engine.

Well, there's your problem - you're in the wrong part of the country. Prices recently dropped here (yeah... go figure that one), but I just filled up with diesel for $2.899 the other day... 89 was $3.099 at the same place.

Maybe so - but the engine averages twice the fuel economy, so unless diesel hits about $5.85 a gallon, it will ALWAYS be cheaper to operate a diesel than a V10.
Bummer, huh?
On Tue, 22 Aug 2006 03:55:27 GMT, "Tom Lawrence"

Tom you are one of those stubborn 87 does all guy and you havre no understanding of octane requirements in modern engines at all and it shows big time. It is because of people like you that gasser get a bad rap sometimes. 87 does not provide the octane needed plan and simple and the timing has to be retards to tolerate it. If you would have pried open your wallet and used better fuel you ould have had a different opinion of it. One of the reasons that Dodge killed it was because people such as your self were addicted to feeding it 87 towing and the engine would tend to ping and this ping (even if not heard because ECM was keeping it a low level) would cause valves to vibrate in seat and over time cause them to start to burn and fail. Rather than up octane requirements in book officailly they tried a bit in 96 bit it proved to not really help much. 87 octane was not design for such usage but wnnabe experts such your self "know" better. I actually studied IC engine desgn and theory in college many years ago and wrote a few papers on it while pesuing a engineering degree so I am not just making this up as I good like most others do. ou simply cannot burn 87 octane in a big engine on a warm day under a heavy load without compromising spark timing a lot and in doing so you kill power and MPG a lot but you would know that too if you really had a clue about what you were talking about. ----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Please explain to me how a V10 retards it's timing when using 87 octane fuel.
On Tue, 22 Aug 2006 13:30:36 GMT, "Tom Lawrence"

If I have to explain it to you then you are really lost. ----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Please explain it to me, I'm interested.

Why not find it for yourself?
Google is your friend: search on "knock sensor"
DJ

Your missing the point.
Roy

that would be "you're"..................you are, not your, as in possession......sorry English cop on patrol................so much bantering here................

And that's the trouble isn't it? Dodge doesn't use one.

I guess the lack of response means I'm not getting an explanation? I was looking forward to it.

You might as well search for an Illudium Q-36 explosive space modulator, as it's also not found anywhere on a Dodge V10.
:))

Tom Lawrence wrote:

as
That's 'cuz Illudium Q-36 explosive space modulators are made from unobtanium. ;-)

Ya mean the 37-syllable compound that uses carbon crystals suspended in a tungsten matrix? (5 bonus points for citing the movie reference)
Yeah - I've been meaning to pick some of that stuff up. :)