Vented Tailgate - (Dodge Ram '07)

Page 3 of 3

Look my floppy eared buddy. I hate to brake the news to ya but look at the size of what you are trying to filter. That wimpy K$N might just get sucked in. If ya want I might be able to make a call and get a filter off a locomotive. I figure the volume of fumes would be about the same. Or failing that maybe a turbo scrubber, they are heavey but I'm sure we can strap it on your wide ass. <BFG>

I'm thinking of going back to the beach, it's cooled off to about 86, nice breeze off the water.

Nosey wrote:

I agree to an extent. However, they do make claims regarding SPECIFIC vehicles by year and model. No performance part manufacture can make across the board claims. They can only show results for specific tests done. Whether those will relate to some other vehicle is unknown.

They were doing it. Perhaps when you were still Tom B or before you were here. They had been claiming 20HP at the rear wheels with one of their toys Actually in the ad they showed a early Camaro, anyway after all the protesting and stuff they stopped with the outlandish claims.

Of course, it turned into a filter thread. Ya want to go to T-wrench's?
Click or beam ? <VBG>
Roy wrote:

Uhm hold up...
Now, if we're talking 1st gen, the air pickup is actually the HINGE opening on the passenger side rear. This is where there is greater air pressure and therefore where the input air WILL come from when the truck is rolling...
At full operation temperature on a hot day with the AC blasting and the pavement damn near boiling hot, the input air temperature to the stock air intake system is insanely high (I've recorded temps as high as 165F in the factory air duct) at 70ish mph.
It'd be hard to get much WORSE than that.

Unless you are or have made considerable mods to your engine, you will see no gains for your money with it. Even if it manages to give you the claimed 5 HP, do you really think that you would even notice it with the size and weight of your vehicle? If money is important then I would save the $60 or more that it costs by not buying it.

What miles said. Save your money. It is a truck

Get a bed cover, hard or soft as they both decrease the drag and should, some testing claims they do, increase the mpg, but as miles and Roy said, the increase will be minimal.
azwiley1 wrote:

I know I read about tests done with a camper shell. It did reduce the drag but the increased weight offset any gains. Don't know about a bed cover but leaving the tailgate down won't help.
I have read an exception to this. When towing a typical RV trailer some slight reduction in drag occurs with the tailgate down. Don't know if its specific to TT's or FW's or what.
I have a rollback aluminum cover on mine and really didn't notice much of a difference. What it did do however is make the sliding rear window just about useless at highway speeds as it does get loud.
"miles" < snipped-for-privacy@nopers.com> wrote in message

I can see me leaving my tailgate down.... first turn, my FW will curl up the corners.
FMB (towing a Fox)

I saw a vented tail gate the other day and I thought it was you, Roy. The tail looked like it had about 100 rounds through it.
FMB (BTW, I have the video on file of the 50 cal, have an email addy?)

Roy,
The video isn't useful, but if you could let me barrow the 50 cal I could make my own vented tailgate! :)
Shane

Hell, post it here with the usual warning.
Roy