Vented Tailgate - (Dodge Ram '07)

Does anyone actually know if a vented tailgate actually helps increase gas mileage? Any if so by how much? Any information would be greatly appreciated, Thanks.

Shane

Reply to
Shane

Decades old question that has been long since answered. A tailgate down or removed will actually increase the trucks drag rather than the expected decrease. In tests I have seen the resulting mpg change is negligible. If your intent is to increase mpg then you'd be wasting your money with a vented tailgate. If anything it would go down but more likely no measurable difference.

Reply to
miles

What miles said. Save your money. It is a truck

Reply to
Roy

Get a bed cover, hard or soft as they both decrease the drag and should, some testing claims they do, increase the mpg, but as miles and Roy said, the increase will be minimal.

Reply to
azwiley1

I know I read about tests done with a camper shell. It did reduce the drag but the increased weight offset any gains. Don't know about a bed cover but leaving the tailgate down won't help.

I have read an exception to this. When towing a typical RV trailer some slight reduction in drag occurs with the tailgate down. Don't know if its specific to TT's or FW's or what.

Reply to
miles

I have a rollback aluminum cover on mine and really didn't notice much of a difference. What it did do however is make the sliding rear window just about useless at highway speeds as it does get loud.

Reply to
TBone

I can see me leaving my tailgate down.... first turn, my FW will curl up the corners.

FMB (towing a Fox)

Reply to
FMB

Thanks to everyone who responded it really helps with a new baby. I don't want to be spending any extra money if it's not going to help me save any money in the long run. What is everyones thoughts on a K&N

products would anything like that help meget more MPG or would that be just a waste of money too? I reallydon't care too much about the MPG if if it's a drastic increase Iwouldn't mind adding it to the truck. I used to have a diesel and Iwas putting $90+/- a week into it now I'm only putting $60+/- a weekand that has been saving me a lot of money already. Shane

Reply to
Shane

I saw a vented tail gate the other day and I thought it was you, Roy. The tail looked like it had about 100 rounds through it.

FMB (BTW, I have the video on file of the 50 cal, have an email addy?)

Reply to
FMB

Roy,

The video isn't useful, but if you could let me barrow the 50 cal I could make my own vented tailgate! :)

Shane

Reply to
Shane

Save your money and dont waste it on the POS k&n filter. All hype pure bullshit.

Reply to
azwiley1

Unless you are or have made considerable mods to your engine, you will see no gains for your money with it. Even if it manages to give you the claimed

5 HP, do you really think that you would even notice it with the size and weight of your vehicle? If money is important then I would save the $60 or more that it costs by not buying it.
Reply to
TBone

Hell, post it here with the usual warning.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

azwiley, TBone, FMB, Roy... Thanks for all your input after reading everyones comments it sounds like I better off not getting any of that and put my money towards gas.

Thanks again,

Shane

Reply to
Shane

The filters are junk but their CAI is ok and can improve performance on some vehicles. However, I prefer other brands such as AirRaid. For permanent filters I prefer Wix or Napa Gold.

Reply to
miles

Huh? Maybe if the engine is modified and the speed is close to 100mph.

Reply to
Roy

There are some vehicles that can benefit from a better air intake especially going from a hot to a cold intake.

Reply to
miles

Where is this cold air coming from? Usually from the engine compartment. Anyway no matter where it get's the air it travels through a tube that is hot as hell, so any cool air is now heated. The getting isn't worth the going on a stock engine imo

Reply to
Roy

How about outside the engine compartment?

Yes but depending on the material used any transfer of heat in the split second the air travels through the tube is negligible. Some of the all metal single layer tubes I suppose could conduct too much heat.

Reply to
miles

If it is a forced air setup, the engine's gotta be modified and should be at about 5500 or better rpm and have a speed better than 75mph.to assist the cold air such as it is to the intake imo.

As is any performance increase you might realize in a stock engine.

Reply to
Roy