Verdict: Bad Wheel Bearings.

Page 1 of 2
Well, I finally had it today. I had already planned to stop at my old mechanic to have them listen to the noise, and complain about the braking.
Got some really bad personal news on my way home, which did nothing for
my mood.
Went to the mechanic, but they were eyebrow deep in vehicles, and there was a line. So I left. Remember when I was asking about my battery a while back? Well, quite suddenly in the last couple of days it had become harder to start the truck in the morning, so I stopped at Sears to get a new battery (Die Hard Platinum [something, I think]).
They were pretty slow, so against my better judgment (never heard anything either way about Sears as a decent auto shop), I decided to let them diagnose the truck's noises.
Meanwhile I went to the mall and tried to get my prepaid phone service switched over to a non-contract data plan, but for the second time utterly failed. Maybe I need a new cell company too... but that's another story, just inserting this to show just how wonderful my evening's been.
Went back to the Sears Auto Center, verdict was bad wheel bearings on both front wheels, bad tie rods (tie rod ends were newer - were the rods themselves part of a recall?), and improperly turned drums.
They sensed I was a skeptic so they showed me the play in the front tire. Yup.
They charged me what I think was Way Too Much for the bearings; after nearly having a heart attack at the total charge for just the battery and wheel bearings, I decided not to have them deal with the drums and tie rods. Still, cost me a grand just for that - nearly $600 for the wheel bearings "because they're 4x4 and had to match them". National is the brand. Pretty sure I got taken but by that time I was more than a little distraught, so I said go ahead and do it, since they were willing to stay late to do it right then. A little Japanese guy with broken English did the work; he was very nice though and willing to show me the problems and talk about options. He stayed an hour past their usual closing time to do my truck for me, so can't complain about that!
He seemed mighty surprised that my mechanic hadn't noticed the wheel bearings were bad. Considering I had complained about the grinding feel in the gas pedal before, so am I.
The good news is - all the bad stuff went away! No noise when turning, no grinding sensation in the gas pedal!
It's too short a drive home from Sears to really be sure all is well, but felt pretty good. I'll test the brakes on my ride to work tomorrow, and see if the other noise I was getting when going straight at speed is gone too.
What would be the symptoms of bad tie rods though?
jmc
Well, gee, duh ... that's what the socially unacceptable old coot said it might be, huh?
Well, ya might not like me as a person, but my diagnostic skills are still good.
Oh, btw, you're welcome.
--
C.L. "Budd" Cochran
Pray for the Obama administration: Psalm 109:8

Oh so THATS what he's talking about (on reply, all the stuff below your sig -- has indeed been whiped.
Really no need to be snarky, I don't know you as a person, I know you as some text on a newsgroup :)
Well, thank you anyway, it was on my list (my boss beat you to the punch actually).
jmc

Actually, I only came back to this group to test out new servers as this group always had a high posting rate so I knew someone would reply and I've found a good text only one.
My original post to the group was to state that I saw everyone was still teasing Denny, but as you see, many jumped to conclusions other than that possibility.
I'm glad that I don't hold grudges like some . . . .
I saw your post and it sounded like how the cartridge bearing setup on my XJ did when I first got it and I figured it might give someone an idea of where to look for the problem if I mentioned it.
Now, you and the rest of the group can pat yourselves on the back for running me off again if it'll make you feel better.
I'm outta here.
<snip of mindless BS>

Please spare us the crying and the "feel bad for me" act that you've perfected.
I'm sure the usual meltdown isn't far behind.
C.L. "Budd" Cochran wrote:

LOL, finally. And no way in Thunderbird to turn that feature off when you need to accomodate a moron top-sigger.

Yup, you got several responses when you said you were looking for a free news server. And you thanked nobody.

Budd, The teasing/jabbing/poking is all part of the game. It's not like I don't pick on Jodi for me not getting choclate chip cookies, or Roy's fat ass or even Mike and his sissy seats. It's all in fun. If I didn't get ribbed about Castles I'd feel like I'm not loved anymore...
Damn........I mentioned Castles...time for a quick drive to Dayton.....
Denny
wrote in message

Budd, The teasing/jabbing/poking is all part of the game. It's not like I don't pick on Jodi for me not getting choclate chip cookies, or Roy's fat ass or even Mike and his sissy seats.
Wait a friggin' minute!! You with your need to confess verified that you know have bun warmers. Methinks that you might want to apologize again to Mike for that unwarranted comment.<VBG>
What is this fixation you have with a mans ass or where he parks it? Could it have something to do with your affair errr..relationship with sno-fool? Hmmm.. maybe that needs a looking into.<BFG>
It's all in fun. If I didn't get ribbed about Castles I'd feel like I'm not loved anymore...
Damn........I mentioned Castles...time for a quick drive to Dayton.....
Damn!! It's always about food with ya!!<G>
Denny
Roy

All I can say is that "real" trucks don't have heated leather seats. At least my HLS are in a damned mini-van. <BG>
I've heard rumors that the oil blowout in the gulf was planned. It's a roundabout way to lube up the beaches so some fat-ass retired fart can slide down to the surf to fish easier.
Denny
wrote in message

All I can say is that "real" trucks don't have heated leather seats. At least my HLS are in a damned mini-van. <BG>
I've heard rumors that the oil blowout in the gulf was planned. It's a roundabout way to lube up the beaches so some fat-ass retired fart can slide down to the surf to fish easier.
Denny
So you are now driving a non -manly truck???
Maybe you should be coming up with the CCC's, not Jodi.
You must have done real good at lunch class but ya suck in geography. Daytona is on the central eastern coast of FL not the gulf side. Regards the oil horror show that is going on. About the only saving deal is if the oil get's all the way around through the Key's to the Gulf Stream, the stream is far enough east (about 60 miles) so my area might just get lucky and it will pass by.
Rest assured that the ass that you are soo concerned about is more than capable of walking across the sand to the 75 degree surf.
We don't have to revisit your incident at Old Orchard Beach do we? You remember the day Green Peace spotted you sunning yourself on the beach and tied a rope around yer feet and were dragging you into the water yelling keep it's skin wet while throwing bucket of ocean water on ya. Is it coming back now? If not I think Red may have some pictures. He's got pics of everything else so he must have some. <GBMFG>
Roy

ROTFLMAO!
beekeep

braking.
my

become

anything

utterly

both

do

no

This doesn't sound real.
Suddenly, without warning, ktos exclaimed (5/21/2010 1:13 AM):

You are new here aren't you? Old timers know my life with my truck is just one weird thing after another. :)
jmc

Yes.... I've been following the saga from Limeyland to Oz and back... stay tuned for next week's episode....
;^)
Mike

There's a cause to it too, bad karma cookies...

Less that optimal steering, and odd tire wear are the most common. Final failure is more spectacular!
Suddenly, without warning, PeterD exclaimed (5/20/2010 6:26 AM):

Steering is fine (I followed and kept up with a jaguar on my secret very twisty road today!) but it does seem to "wallow" - not sure how to describe the sensation - over bumps and such.
Looks like the replacement is really easy, so I might just buy 'em myself, and bring them to Sears to swap out. I'll go elsewhere to get the brake system checked out.
jmc

Yep, that is the symptom, or one of them...

You could probably do it yourself in the driveway! <g>

jmc wrote:

Replacement is easy BUT you have to make sure that you assemble the new ones to the same length to minimize alignment issues.
Once you replace the tie rod ends you will want to check the toe settings on the front end. This is easy to do with a couple pieces of 2X4 or 2X6 and a good tape measure on LEVEL ground. The wood gets set up against the inside of each tire and then you measure from the edge of the rim (not the tire as they can have bulges and dips in the sidewalls) across the vehicle to the other rim. The wood simply keeps you at the same level on both sides so you get an accurate measurement.
Measure in the front and back and use the tie rods to adjust the toe. Keep the steering wheel centered or use the tie rods to center the wheel as needed.
What I usually do is use a tie strap to lock the wheel straight then adjust as needed if the built in lock doesn't hold the wheel straight.
I would do it sooner than later as tire wear can be a real problem and once they wear strange they will stay that way.
--
Steve W.
(\___/)

Heck, Steve, don't make it hard! You can use a piece of string that doesn't stretch (ie, not nylon!) if you have a helper. I've used the string method many times.

I check to make sure the truck is sitting level (that one side/spring is not weak) and then measure up to the mid point of the rim on both sides. Easy is to just measure from the bottom of the rim to the floor and if identical (should be, adjust tire pressure if not) then measure up to the middel front and rear fo the rims.