Very odd problem Fan clutch?

Have a very weird problem. Have a 97 1500 with a 5.9L motor. Given me 130k with absolutely no problems. Truck looks and runs like new so I'd like to keep it. But I've developed a strange problem. Heard loud
bangs from the engine at an inconsistent rate. Maybe 4 or 5 per minute then nothing for 30 seconds then 5 or 6 times in a row then silence for a while then bang bang again. while checking it out I saw the tension idler was the culprit. changed the idler and belt and checked all the pulleys and they were fine. Started it up and there she goes again. almost like something is trying to stop the engine. Rechecked all the pulleys and all and everything seems OK. Anyone seen this. Like to do my own wrenching but don't know where to start. Find me the problem and the beer is on me.
Check bearings in AC compressor clutch, water pump and PS pump, assuming you feel the problem is related to the belt.
--
Max

I agree since it seems that it is coming from front of engine. Check for smooth operation/drag on clutch fan too and that there is no play in its hubs assembly.
I use a poor mans stethescope to listen to components. Take a piece of dowell or a broom stick, cut to 3 feet, place end on component and thumb on other end of stick, place ear on first knuckle of thumb. Problem component will make a lot more noise than others! MMC

"michaelangelo" <mikeyvestor> wrote in message

Does it do it right from start-up or after a while. If it happens right from start up, I would remove the belt and see what happens. If it stops doing it, then it is probably one of the external belt driven components, AC compressor, water pump, power steering or alternator. If it continues, you may have an internal problem but check the starter motor and make sure it is not coming loose and listen to the bell housing to check for a possible converter problem.

Just shooting in the dark for the beer, but how about the timing chain?