Violent vibration breaks applied

Hello, I have an 87 Ram D250, 5.9L V8 truck, it's my fixer upper project to learn more about cars. I just fixed a flat on the front passenger side. Since then, whenever I go over 35mph and apply the breaks to
slow down/stop, the car vibrates violently(and I'm not using that term lightly). It feels like the whole truck is going to fall apart. Any ideas or help? Greatly appreciate it. What I have done so far: I made sure all the lug nuts are tight and secure; made sure the tire is seated right; the tire is the right size and everything. My guesses: with some of these older trucks, you have to install the
tire at very specific way (i.e. if you took the tire off with the valve
stem at 6 O'clock, you have to put it back that way). Second guess, perhaps the rotors are warped and I need to re-surface them.
Shaant
dagon70 wrote:

How did you tighten the bolts? If you went in a circular fashion rather than a star pattern you could easily have warped your rotor. Take it back off and retighten evenly in a star pattern.
If the tires were balanced while on the vehicle then its possible it would have to be put back on the same way. That is a very rare situation and implies the rotor to be out of balance. Doesn't sound like this is your issue.

I agree that he has a warped rotor and retorquing it may not fix it.
I had a similar problem with a broken tire sidewall. (rolled on a brick at 50 mph)
If you roll on a flat tire or with wrong tire pressure you may broke or damage the sidewall.
Try to replace the passenger side wheel with your spare or move it on an other corner.

Especially if he didn't use a torque wrench OF ANY KIND ( sorry, that was for the wiseacres).
<Beaming Grin>
--
Budd Cochran

Romans 3:23, Romans 6:23,
It's easy to find out if your rotor is warped. Remove the tire and place a straight edge at various places around the disk. Any warping sufficient to cause what you describe should be easily visible as a gap between the rotor and the straight edge - either in the middle of the disk or the inner or outer diameter.

dagon70 wrote:

Rotor!". That may be true, but I kind of doubt it. You would feel that severe a vibration at all speeds, not just above 35mph. To make the whole truck shake like that, it would have to be a pretty severe problem.
Anything on the steering or suspension that's loose, particularly in the front end, will cause these symptoms. Worn out tie rod ends, ball joints, a-arm bushings, etc. With a 19 year old truck, it could be almost anything. Get the front end up in the air and check all theses things. Be sure and check the steering shafts.
Don't forget to check the back end, too. Broken shock mount, worn out spring bushing, bad axle bearing, etc.
--
.boB
On Order: 2006 FXDI, Red.
.boB wrote:

On 2004 Durango's there was a TSB issued for severe vibration when braking at speeds over 65mph. This happened with mine. No notice of any problem at lower speeds. The problem was with the rotors. Probably a combination of the warpage and the design of the calipers. Above 65mph the calipers began chattering horribly. It can happen.
Since it happened right after changing a tire my bet is still that the rotor became warped from improper torquing of lug nuts.
On Tue, 07 Mar 2006 20:57:24 -0700, ".boB"

Not true. My wifes Cheeroke had warped rotors but it was far worse are higher speeds because the warp more as they heat up from braking forces. Hers did no shake a lot until the rotors heated up. It is possible for a rotor to be fairly flat when cold and warp big time as it heats up.

If that was happening then I would say that the rotor was defective to begin with.

".boB" wrote:

Loose caliper?
JAM
dagon70 wrote:

------- ------- Define...."fixed a flat"
Define...."Since then"
~~Questions~~ Did it have....ANY...brake vibration before the flat?
What part of the truck did you jack up on to raise the truck up?
~~Possibilities~~ (keeping in mind it's a 1987 fixer-upper)
The controll arm bushings fubarred when the truck was lifted up.
The Ball joint came loose in the controll arm when the truck was lifted up.
The tie rod "ball and socket" popped when the truck was worked on.
You took something off.....that you did'nt put back on.
You put something on....that you didn't take off. (changed the wheel to a different one...a smaller one)
You're lieing.....and you did more than jest fix a flat.
there are other possibilities... but...... from my experience...those are the most likely. (not necessarily in that order though} (experience has made me start at the bottom of the list..and go up)
do a repost... let us know.
~:~ MarshMonster ~:~
Marsh Monster wrote:

OK...The tire was flat, I took it off the truck, put green slime in it, inflated it (all I had was portable air compressor that attaches to the cig lighter and of course the cig lighter in the truck doesn't work. So, I had to take the tire off of it and inflate it using the cig lighter in my other car). Put it back on the truck. tightened lugs in star formation. But did not use torque wrench. Is that detail enough?

I put the tire on. I drove it for about 5 miles to spread the green slime. Few days later, this problem started.

No.
This is where I think I went wrong after readying your email. I jacked the truck up from the frame area to the left of the tire. Since the tire was flat, the hight I lifted was enough. When the tire was inflated, the hight the jack lifted wasn't enough to fit the tire back on. So I left the car up at that hight on a stand. Then I put the jack under the control arm and raised it enough to where the tire fit.

Nothing else came off, just 5 lugs and the tire.

I put back only the tire and the lugs

Same tire

Lieing is such a harsh word. I just didn't include all this detail the first time because it never dawned on me that it might be important.

try a good spare without the liquid slime fix flat product in it. that liquid is known to give balance problems and infact says so on the bottle.
that would be my first suggestion.
--
-Chris
05 CTD

There is your problem. Get the slime out of the tire and rebalance.
Roy
============== snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Here's some of what I'ma thunk'n...........
1) The flat tire deal is just a coincedence. Now you have a completely unrelated deal going on that just happened to occur after you fixed the tire and you need to inspect the frontend and brakes. That's where the prob is.
2) When you lifted the truck under the controll arm, an already failing suspension part fubared. Now you need to inspect the front end and brakes. Also, could be a steering linkage part.
3) You are slowly learning the benefits of posting........... ALL the Facts surrounding your symptom in order to get speedier and more acurate "guess's" as to your problem.
any whooooo.......
If that "scissor" jack slipped and you heard a gawd-awfull clunk when it happened.....suspect something gave.
In any case..... check the controll arm parts, steering linkage, brakes, and wheel bearings on that side.
let us know
~:~ marshmonster ~:~
OK...thank you folks...I'll let you know what I find.