Warm-up time for Cummins Diesel

Hello Everyone,
In one of the previous posts, it was stated:
    Minimize idling, and idle smart: Engines only need 10 to 30 seconds
    for warm-up,
How true is this for the '06 Cummins Diesel motor?
I typically warm up for a minute, drive very slowly up my gravel road (about 1/10th mile) 'til I get to my entrance to the county road, and then take it lightly 'til I've driven about 5 miles.
OTOH, my neighbor warms his up for 10-15 minutes every morning.
Any comments? Suggestions? I live near Seattle where it hardly ever gets below the upper 20's.
Thanks.
The Rocket Man

Ya, right.

That should do the trick, unless it is extreme cold.

Does you neighbor have the high idle deal?

For the most part, accurate. Extreme conditions will dictate otherwise, but it sounds like you don't need to concern yourself with sub-zero temperatures.

That's fine... rule of thumb is to start it up, wait 'til you've got oil pressure, then drive it gently until you see the temperature gauge moving. No "foot to the floor" driving until that temp gauge is registering... worst thing you can do to a diesel (other than run it without oil, of course) is to feed it a lot of fuel while it's cold.

Not necessary - unless you're waiting for the frost on your windshield to melt :)

I find that some winter inserts for the grill, or a grill cover, help with warm-up times. You'll get cab heat more quickly that way. Normal driving wouldn't overheat the engine, but if you go to pull a heavy load, you might want to pop some of the inserts out, or open up the cover a little more.
Tom Lawrence wrote:

With a diesel you would be hard pressed to be a block heater or a tank style unit in the heater line. Warm engine, and in most instances clear windshield and warmer cab to boot. If you don't like the cord out the grill look wire it into a shore power connector such as those used on boats. Then you just have a flip up cover. You could also connect up a small battery tender as well. I have my 97 Blazer set up that way. That way when the alarm bell goes for a fire/EMS call I just jump in and go.
--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York