water temp?

I was having problems with the water temp gauge on a '97 2500 Cummins. The reading would wander up and down the scale over a period of minutes. First, replaced the sender. Still wandered.

Some knowledgeable folks on the group here told me the wandering problem was well known - change the thermostat. Did that. My gauge is steady as a rock now...... LOL...... at 160 degrees F.

Looks like I'm gonna replace the dash gauge. :-) Any gotchas to keep a watch for?

Justin

Reply to
JustinW

If the problem now appears to be fixed, why are you replacing the dash gauge???

Reply to
TBone

I'm told normal temp is supposed to be 190 degrees F.

Reply to
JustinW

What thermostat did you put in??

Reply to
Dave Lee

I'm not sure about this particular, but sometimes you have a marginal choice in temps, for instance a 180 or 160 thermostat.

Reply to
Dave Lee

Thermostat from the Dodge dealer.

Reply to
JustinW

Damn, I coulda gone all week without hearing that. Where can I find a 190 degree thermostat?

Reply to
JustinW

Like I said, I ain't positive about this model vehicle, just been the case in a few vehicles I've owned. Call Napa and see what they offer. I bet napa has an online catalog, or someone does. I just feel if the gauge is steady, and records low on startup and gradually goes to 160, I doubt another gauge will accomplish anything.

Just my cents, which don't add up to that much.

Reply to
Dave Lee

I would not replace the dash gauge. It won't make any difference. Had the same problem on my 96. Took it to a cummins dealer. They put a mechancal gauge on to check everything out. They ended up replacing the therostate twice. My 96 ALWAYS read about 160 or less....even when I ordered replacement thermostats from Cummins. There were some thereostats that would cause wide swings in temp when they would open up. That was caused by the large cooling capacity of the dodge radiator. Cummins finally came out with a modified thermostat that fixed that problem.

I say don't worry about it. I put 160k on my truck before I traded it off and it was still going strong.

Ron

Reply to
Termite