Weird Acceleration

Took my 04 Durango HEMI Limited into the stealership to have them address 3 issues: 1. A/C TSB (blows hot when engine warm) 2. Exhaust drone TSB and 3. Hesitation (but never stalling) when turning after a dead stop.

They claim they:

  1. Re-flashed PCM and ordered parts for the TSB (parts on B/O, no clue as to delivery.)
  2. Ordered parts for exhaust drone TSB (parts on B/O, again clueless.)
  3. Cleaned throttle body per some TSB (supposed to be necessary only after 50K miles. My D has about 11K miles)

So, I pick up the truck and it feels weird. None of the HEMI guts. Dismissing the mental picture of half a ham sandwich in my throttle body, I figure maybe the flash requires the PCM to learn some new sensor settings, so I hit the highway bound for my next call. Accelerating up the on-ramp, pedal to the metal, I'm trying to slide into a spot between a couple of semis, and as the throttle hits 3700RPM it's like the engine isn't running. Tach is oscillating between about 3500 and 4000RPM but I'm not accelerating, so I steer onto the shoulder to avoid becoming a hood ornament for a Kenworth.

As I reduce throttle, I feel things return to normal about 3500RPM. Since the next exit is 11 miles away and I'm reluctant to waste a few hours getting towed, I wait for a nice big hole to merge into the slow lane. Things seem fine again, so as I get near that exit, I punch it. The tranny kicks down, the HEMI revs up, and at 3700 it does it again. Bouncing between 3500 and 3900.

So, I figure I can limp to my appointment, as long as I keep my foot out of it, but I decide to call the Service Mangler at the stealership. I share some of my best "Golf Words" with him.

Finish the customer call, and return to the truck. Try the 3 keyclicks, no codes! Do the accelerator fly-by-wire throttle reset. Truck runs great. I find a good chunk of road and the HEMI bolts like a HEMI should.

So, I call the Mangler back, and tell him I have fixed the problem. (I think he was still pissed that I had questioned his parent's marital status at the time of his birth. ) Now that you have read all this, you're probably waiting for a punchline better than "So, Bob's your Uncle!", right?

Sorry, but the only punchline is that this highly qualified and factory trained Service Manager at a Five Star Dealer had never heard of the accelerator reset gimmick. I guess the moral of this loooooong story is to do this gimmick whenever you are forced to turn your D over to a service dummy.

Anybody got any ideas about this problem? Guess I need to find another joint to do the in-warranty work. Seems like the SM might be connected........

Reply to
Langerhans

'Tis better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt"

Mark Twain

Reply to
Mike Simmons

Damn, I thought it was Samual Clements that said that.

Personally I think he found another joint and did the warranty work himself. beekeep

Reply to
beekeep

CLEMENS!! Beekeep! CLEMENS!!

Damn! Next thing you know you'll be calling the diesels Cummings!

;^)

Mike

Reply to
Mike Simmons

you can't even make a joke properly

it's 'Clemens', you dumb f*ck

Reply to
TranSurgeon

What is: "the accelerator fly-by-wire throttle reset".

Reply to
Jeff Mayner

Since there is no physical connection, like a cable from pedal to throttle, I call it a fly-by-wire system. Similar to the new aircraft which use electronic servo systems to control hydraulic valves instead of cables and pushrods.

To do it to your truck, with engine off, turn key to first position. Wait for idiot lights to extinguish. Press pedal down to the floor, then let it up. Turn key back to off position.

You just taught the PCM the limits of travel of your pedal. There are probably others here who are better equipped to explain the hows and whys.

Reply to
Langerhans

Thanks.

I had never heard of this. I am aware of the "by wire" and how it works, well, sorta, but had never heard of the "fix".

Reply to
Jeff Mayner