Weird brake behavior 1998 Dakota

Hi,
My Dakota's ABS brakes have the following odd behavior:
When the vehicle is about to stop the brakes rapidly pulse, click, drop pressure, which is quickly recovered when a servo motor kicks in with a
loud buzz. It only happens when you are just about stopped (very low speed). The brakes are smooth and stop normal at all other times. It cannot be normal operation for a brake system. No warning lights come on at any time.
Has anyone had this behavior before? Any ideas on what is wrong?
Dean
That sounds like a possible failing wheel sensor making the ABS believe that you have a wheel locking up.
"dapecota" < snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Yes. It was a failed speed sensor located on the differential housing, however for confirmation you can have the dealer put it on the diagnostic and it will confirm that as the problem rather than any other component of the anti-lock brake system.
Is your speedometer becoming somewhat erratic? no indication at low speed then jumping up to the correct speed? Another sympton of the sensor failure.
Frank
I did not really look at the speedometer. I will now.
Thanks,
Dean
Frank Boettcher wrote:

if it is the sensor, you should be able to pull the fuse for the abs and the problem will go away. I did this when the sensor ring split on my voyageur van. the brakes preformed as normal brakes without the abs after removing the fuse. try at your own risk thou, i don't know what will happen if you pull it on your truck. I would try it slowly in my driveway first.
good luck mr. burns.