What about spring over shocks

Hello all,
I have a '96 B250 conversion van. It originally had ride control air shocks but the pump and shocks are bad. It was recommended to me to
forget that setup and use spring over heavy duty shocks. I tow a camper with this van.
Well today was the first time I really looked at it. The shocks that are on it are more horizontal than vertical. I am sure there is some amount of support they provide, but it can not be much.
What are the advantages or what should I know before I go to spring over shocks?
Thanks, Fred