What did dealer break - Cruise not working after front end work

Had problem with front end and they replaced main bearing, idler arm and couple other things on Steering.

Now suddenly my cruise doesnt work.

Coicidence or did they screw up.

Dont really want to go back to them anymore if I dont have to. But if they messed it up I will to have them fix it.

Reply to
RickN7HJ

Double bounce by Gmail.

They foudn the wire to the sensor near the clock spring they replaced to have a Splice pulled loose (yea right) and they "respliced it"

Reply to
RickN7HJ

Yea right? So...bear with me, as your statement above makes little sense in english...but you are now complaining that they found the problem, and made it right for you?

Im not real sure what you said, but I am pretty sure that you just might be too stupid to own a vehicle.

Reply to
webmaster

Um Ill refrain from answering you in the manner you chose.

How about this dealer has been fairly below avg in the service department. So much so that the salesmen even complain about them.

Now the clock spring (which they replaced) has the wires for the cruise next it. If by chance they "BROKE" the wire in the first place, then forgot about it or did'nt check or some other explanation, they would still have to fix it. But instead of maybe admitting they may have broke a wire, they possibly make up a story about Previous wire splices.

Now How often do you think the sensor wires or control wires for the Cruise would have required a splice if the truck has never had a problem before? So why would a splice be there in the first place.

Reply to
Rick Scott

I don't know all the circumstances surrounding your problem, but, it appears the dealer took responsibility for the problem and fixed it at no charge to you..... what more do you want? Seems to me that they did the right thing.....

Mike

Reply to
Mike Simmons

Ummm....good..this time you made sense.

Oh god.. WHY do you go there then? Its a very simple thing....if the dealer really sucks, then WHY go there? I drive over 45 miles to go to a dealer I like, trust, and one that fixes things the first time...I have at least 4 closer, but one really does suck...and its the one right up the road closest to me. Even if you have to drive a bit farther, it sure sounds like you would be happier elsewhere.

How about: It broke while making your other repair and they didnt know it broke? How about you really DO have a previous repair there that you dont know about for whatever reason, and had no reason to consider that it was there? Does it always have to be a damn conspiracy?

I dont know..if I knew the answer to that, I could tell you why my 2500, with less than 30K on the odometer thats never been loaded heavy, and I have had since it was new, (1 year today as a matter of fact) has a set of sagging springs...and is getting a new set soon. I could also tell you why its broken 3 spark plugs, 2 on the same cylinder..I could tell you why it needs a new AC control, and a new purge valve.. Oh...wait..things break. Things get poked and prodded while working on things and they can break.

Point is, the dealer made it right. Why cry about it? God....when I worked at a dealership, we had customers like this one, and we cringed everytime they came in. I realized that some people were just out for a freebie or to complain every time they went when I changed locations one time, and had a customer that gave us hell at the other dealer, and complained that WE broke her T-belt after she left for an oil change, even though we told her she was

30,000 past due...i wont forget this woman....she came into the new dealer I was working at and started in about the asshole that she had to deal with at the other dealer and how they screwed up her car and she had to sue to make it right... I just looked at her and said....but *I* made it right, and you didnt have to sue, you just bitched real loud.... Priceless. More priceless...she is a customer of mine now...and I am not in automotive any longer..LOL
Reply to
webmaster

Maybe it wasn't a "repair" splice. It might have been a factory wire connector that he referred to as a splice to simplify the explanation. Maybe that connector needed to be disconnected to access the clockspring, and the wire pulled loose from the connector in the process. You'll never know for sure unless you ask the service manager to find out exactly what happened. Be patient and polite with him and I bet he will be willing to help you.

Reply to
Nosey

IF they broke the wire the simple fact is, they did sloppy work and IF they gave some harebrained explanation instead of admitting it they are also dishonest. A GOOD mechanic would not only fix the problem but check to see he didn't break or damage anything else (including greasy palm prints on things like the body, door handles, steering wheel, etc). While they charge $75.00 to $150.00/hour, what compensation do they give when the "customer" has to bring his vehicle back so they can fix their own screw-up? It gets worse! LD

Reply to
LD

What were they doing under the dash if they were repairing front end components?

Reply to
High Sierra

Prob nothing. This is the same kind of person that takes one in for a front end alignment, and then complains a week later when the motor locks up from 50K of no oil changes that the dealer did it.

Reply to
webmaster

lol. i never even thought about that, but a good question.

Reply to
the guy

If, and this is a big "IF", they by some chance had the steering shaft unfastened and turned the shaft too much they could have pulled a wire apart inside the clockspring. If this had happened, it shouldn't have been repaired, it should have had a new clockspring installed.

Denny

Reply to
Denny

I'm going to show my ignorance now. What is the "clockspring"?

Reply to
High Sierra

Because I bought the Truck there ... It had some problems in the front end. I wouldnt have, but I was forced.

No Just incompantancy

everytime

Ahh So YOU have issues you need to deal with. Anger management. I notice that your answers to anyone posting to this group is never an answer but a SLAM. But thats yours to deal with. My Dealer is something I had to deal with.

Ok here is why It built up. My Salesman didnt take your stance however and is bringing this all up in the Morning meeting this morning between the Salesmen and Service. At least my salesman is trying to change some of the practices back there.

Several things have built up to this.

We bought a Van there .. 2003 with 10K miles. Our salesman took it back to service for a complete inspection report. Came back with everything listed out. One of the things I wondered about is 10K miles on brakes and they listed them at 80% .. Odd but if they say so.

We take the Van back with 17K on it with a brake noise. They say the Front have to be replaced and OH brakes are NOT Warrenty its a Maintenance Item. Fine I figure wife been hard on the brakes. Replace them ... Fool me once. I didnt ask how much and when I went to pick the van up i was hit with a $310 buck bill to replace the two front brake pads. No other task was accomplished. Ouch Hard lesson learned.

Bought truck from same salesman ... Has 37K on it. I specifically told the salesman to have the brakes checked and to personally have it verified. Came back at 80% again ... He said the previous owner must have replaced them. Ill come back to this.

2 weeks ago, I took my truck in for Oil/lube (they sent me a coupon for a price noone could beat) fool me twice. Got truck in and was told 45 min. After an hour I very nicely ask service guy if truck is done. He says to wait back in waiting room he will check on it. After another hour I go back and ask again and he says "OH didnt no one tell you we were done an Hour ago" ... Great.

Now I take it in for this front end things. Among other things they HAD replaced the Clock spring (Idler arm couple others) .... When He called at 1PM I said I would be there at 4:30 after work. I arrive and was told to WAIT for the Paperwork to be completed (could they not have done that then) ... I waited another 45 min while they did paperwork. Expecting to pay the 100 deductible ... I get presented with a 225 buck bill. Asking whats up .... I get told that the front end alignment after the replaced the parts is not covered by warrent. ITS A MAINTENANCE ITEM.

So there is my story.

I dont BITCH to them, I have learned to be very polite. The newsgroups I try to be polite too and not hammer people with comments such as yours. You may have yelling and screaming customers but with your attitude I can see why.

Me, Ill talk to my salesman and see if he was able to get anywhere. If not, Ill see if a Better dodge dealer is around for all other maintenance and will only go back for warrenty if I have to.

Reply to
RickN7HJ

I was, he offered the reason was there was a aftermarket splice. But if there was such a thing with the clock spring (lower end of steering column) wouldnt the tech have checked all that when he finished? Rather than me going back for another 2 hours of waiting to get it fixed. Just doesnt seem like good business to me.

Reply to
RickN7HJ

The clockspring is the connection between the steering wheel controls and air bag and the fixed part of the column. It loops around inside of the column many times to be able to expand and contract to deal with the right and left rotation of the steering wheel and looks like a clock spring, hence it's name.

Reply to
TBone

Great answer. Thanks.

Reply to