What happens when new cars dont sell?

Threaded View

I read the post about dodges being 13k under sticker and had me wondering.
What does the dealer/Mfr do with unsold new cars?

Re: What happens when new cars dont sell?

They stay on the sales lot until they do sell. They are called "leftovers".
I picked up a brand new 1995 leftover Chevy in March 1996. It was equipped
the same as several of the 1996 models there but it was much cheaper.
--
Ken

Re: What happens when new cars dont sell?

And from the dealer's perspective these are the most expensive vehicles on
his lot because he's paying interest on them plus in some states also
paying taxes on the unsold inventory. These are the ones you can actually
buy below the dealer's final cost because he is so extremely anxious to
get rid of them. That's not to imply they are necessarily a good value,
but you'll generally never get a chance to buy 'em any cheaper.

Re: What happens when new cars dont sell?

NEW cars are a very expensive indulgence....even when they're on closeout.
The hit you take when you drive it off the lot is an insane price to pay for
new-car smell..

Re: What happens when new cars dont sell?

Sell them cheap.  Which kills the market for used models of the same
year.  Which makes people reluctant to buy a new car because of
depreciation.  Which causes cars to sit on the lot unsold.  Which
causes dealers to sell old inventory cheap.  And so on.

But, that lets the rest of us buy a 2 year old car for less than half
price.

Re: What happens when new cars dont sell?

In article

You want to see a car literally circle the drain on rapid depreciation,
check out the Lincoln Town Car. Beautiful and luxurious, but depreciates
over 40% the first 2 years. 50% at 3 years, 60% at 4 years. We sold a
burgandy '93 Cartier (highest trim line Lincoln) in 2001 for $7,200. The
car was $50,000 new. It had 60k on the clock when we sold it.
--
Hooked On Ebonics, Lesson 3:  Use the word "disappointment" in a sentence.
DISAPPOINTMENT:  My parole officer tol me if I miss disappointment they

Site Timeline