What is "normal" for pulling a TT?

Page 2 of 2

try not eating them so fast... use them for counting, like humans do with fingers..
Face it, Buggs, without an opposing thumb, you're screwed.. *g* Mac

I dunno. I seem to do ok with the ar and springfield. Maybe I'm just getting lucky?? <G>
Denny

Probably.. my dad used to say that luck was caused by hard work... Mac
On Sat, 24 Jun 2006 19:30:51 GMT, "Tom Lawrence"

I'll take the one that runs on empty.
beekeep
On Sat, 24 Jun 2006 23:20:27 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@radix.net (beekeep) wrote:

That would be the one with the K&L, right?? Mac
On Sat, 24 Jun 2006 19:30:51 GMT, "Tom Lawrence"

I think you also have to factor in engine life and wear...
A gasser is designed to make power at higher rpm than a diesel... gearing won't change that... add gears with more grunt to either and you're operating at higher rpm ranges and asking for more/faster wear...
When my buddy and I are towing our trailers together, he gets 12 mpg towing an 12,000 pound 5th wheel with his f-250 doing about 1,700 rpm, while we're getting 8 mpg towing a 6,000 pound tt at 2,800 rpm....
We both have 3.5 (approx) gears... I could almost keep up with him on hills with a 4:10 gear set, but at what rpm and mpg??
IMO, not worth the cost of regearing..
Mac

Granted, a gas engine properly geared can pull a significant load, but at what price in fuel economy?..... engine longevity? That is where the diesel is the engine of choice for heavy hauling applications... your anecdotal "evidence" notwithstanding.
Mike

we're
nope it would not. ive never said a gas engine wouldnt get the job done. ive said for many reasons, fuel milage the main one, the diesel engine is the better chioce.
The ally has a 3.1 first gear vs 2.48

as have i many times in the past few months around here with a 30 hp farm trac. surprising how many times these construction crews will get themselves stuck after a rain.
It is all in the proper gearing for load and engine,

if all your concerned about is moving the load and not how much it will cost you to move the load then yes, its all about the gearing, and not the engine. ive driven gassers and diesels. my 99 v10 with 4.10's got around 10 - 11 mpg empty on the highway. i never figured it up towing. but i can tell you from the way the gas gauge moved it was roughly half that. now towing the same loads with 3.73's in the diesel im getting 14 - 15 mpg towing hmmm thats 5 mpg up with the load over empty with the old truck. and 19 mpg city empty with the diesel. cost of operation under the load is a HUGE factor. thats why all my vehicles are oil burners.

--
-Chris
05 CTD