What is the gas mileage of the 4.7 L Dakota?

I'm leaning toward buying one of these. I think the salesman BS about the 5.7 L hemi getting the mileage was a joke.

Reply to
crb

we have an 01 dakota.. 2wd, auto, 3.55 gears, 4.7L, club cab.. (wide 16" wheels)

We get about 18 hiway if we're driving economically, which isn't often.. Lucky to get 11 or 12 in town/short trips..

It sure is fun to drive, though.. I get out of the Ram (5.9L auto/3,55) and into the Dak, and have to learn how to push the accelerator gently.. lol Mac

03 Tahoe Widelite 26GT Travel Trailer replaced 1958 Hilite tent trailer 99 Dodge Ram QQ 2wd - 5.9L, auto, 3:55 gears
Reply to
mac davis

I have a 2001 QC configured just like Mac's, but with a 5-speed, purchased new 5/2001. I have averaged right at 17mpg over 20,000 miles, mostly expressway and in-town driving.

I usually get 15-16mpg in the city, low 20s on highway (not towing), if I keep it under 65.

Just returned pulling a 1,500 lb. popup trailer (dry weight) 370 miles. Kept speed 65mph or under and got between 17 and 18 mpg. That's with 4 passengers (total passenger weight 550+ lbs.) and running A/C the whole time.

--Morgan

Reply to
Clay

Suddenly, without warning, crb exclaimed (20-Jul-05 4:01 AM):

I have a 2001 4.7L club cab 4x4. I got an average of just under 17mpg in the US, but I'm getting a bit less here - guestimating around 14-15mpg.

FWIW, I do really like my truck. It's had little things that needed fixing, but nothing that's kept me off the road.

jmc

Reply to
jmc

I also have a 2001 4.7L club cab 4x4 and average 18 with an 80/20 mix of highway/town. I often get 20 with straight highway in the summer.

The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Reply to
Gary K.

Damn.. I need to try going under 65 some time! Best trip we ever got was 20.4 on a 3 tank average, and that was on non-calif. gas..

Mac

03 Tahoe Widelite 26GT Travel Trailer replaced 1958 Hilite tent trailer 99 Dodge Ram QQ 2wd - 5.9L, auto, 3:55 gears
Reply to
mac davis

The Worlds Uncensored News Source

I think the variable displacement hemi will be available on the Ram next year. If it is, then based on some car reviews I've read, the hemi can get pretty good mileage for an engine as big as it is, not much worse than the v-6 in the cars that have been tested. Not sure if the same mileage advantage will also be seen on the truck, but the concept is good.

JPH

Reply to
JPH