What is up with this brake light?

I have a 1996 Dodge 2500 Conversion van. Yesterday I started the van and drove it around the house to hook up a trailer. I left it running. When I got back in the van the brake light was on. I set and released the
parking brake but the light stayed on. I thought it might go out by time I drove around the house. By time I got to the street the ABS light came on. The brakes felt fine, however, I shut off the engine and checked the brake fluid. All was well. When I restarted the van, the lights were out and remained out for the remainder of the trip.
I know, there might not be a lot to go on here but I am just curious as to what could be the issue, if there really is an issue.
Thank you, Fred
Just a guess - your brake light switch/stop lamp switch - usually located up high on the brake pedal [inside the vehicle] is wearing and needs replaced. Pretty easy repair and not that expensive. Give your Autoparts store a call for pricing.
Unca' Bob

Bob,
That might explain the 'brake' light but not the 'ABS' light.
Hmmmm. Fred
Unca' Bob wrote:

Not necessarily... a couple of weeks ago, I noticed my brake/ABS lights on in my '95. It turned out the brake pedal was keeping the brake switch engaged. Pulling the pedal up with my foot made both lights go out, after a bit. This happened on more than one occasion. I have to adjust the plunger depth on that switch (just haven't gotten around to it yet).
Thanks, I'll check into that. Of course I would have never in a million years have guessed that. I guess that is why were are all here, to share experiences.
Thanks again, Fred