What this vacuum line for?

I just replaced a pretty bad battery. It had been leaking a bit of acid. A small amount dripped onto a very small diameter vacuum line that runs under the battery and connects to a silver can. It is not the
chacoal canister which is located elsewhere and its about 1/3 that size. The other end of the line runs up underneath the air cleaner somewhere. The battery acid ate a hole in the line. I do not notice any problems, everything works, engine runs fine and no engine light to indicate a code. Guess I could splice it or run a new line but was curious what this line might be.
Most likely it's the cruise control line. Try your cruise control. If it doesn't work, that's why.
writes:

Cruise control. The vacuum line provides, well, vacuum, that is regulated by a solenoid valve to the canister. The canister, via a diaphragm, operates the throttle cable and modulates the throttle. With a hole in that vacuum line, you'll find that your cruise control doesn't work, your defroster may flip down to the floor vents on hard acceleration, and your 4x4 (if applicable) may not want to engage.
Tom Lawrence wrote:

Hmm...thats about the only item I haven't tried to see if it works. Don't use cruise control in town much. Guess I gotta run a new line. Thanks.
On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 01:26:04 GMT, "Tom Lawrence"

mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

Nah...he didn't say nothin' about mama, or trains, or goin' to prison...
;>)
Cricket