what tranny oil shoud go into a '94 Caravan?

Hi,

My Dodge Caravan LE 3.3V6 has 150,000 miles on it. I'm going to change the transmission fluid. My mechanic told me there is a Mobil 1 automatic trans fluid, and recommended I use that. Checking on the web, how to change oil, I found this: " For example some Chrysler transmissions need only specific type of fluid and regular fluid like Dexron II can even destroy the transmission." Mobile 1 isn't dextron 2, but is there anything wrong with using the mobil 1 product? It's a 3 speed with overdrive. And can dextron 2 really destroy a Dodge transmission?

Thanks, Mike

ps: how do i change the fluid in the torque converter? If you just drop the pan, replace the filter and gasket, button it up, and pour in new oil, won't that be contaminated by the oil in the converter? Is this a problem?

Reply to
Mike Hollywood

ATF +3, also called '7176'

buy it at the dealer

no, Dex will not 'destroy' it, just cause severe chatter at TCC application

Reply to
TranSurgeon

Short answer? You don't. With regular fluid changes, you get enough out. If this is the original fluid from 150,000 miles ago (yikes!), you may want a competent shop to flush the whole transmission for you (and not a JiffyLube type place where they hook up the reverse-flush machine - somebody who knows what they're doing).

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

The proper AFT is very important! Using the wrong stuff can result in premature failure of the park pawk... or so I've heard.....

;^)

Mike

Reply to
Mike Simmons

WOW! That one had some dust on it, huh? :)

Reply to
Tom Lawrence