Wheel size

Page 2 of 2
Are you sure it's the rotors and not you? I've been driving since '75 and only had one warped rotor in my lifetime. I regularly pull a 9000# travel trailer behind a 2500. It has 43K miles on it and I'm still on
the original set of pads.
If I counted correctly, you claimed to have warped/damaged rotors 12 times! How is it defective rotors flock to your vehicles. Any chance you're a little heavy on the brake pedal? Or maybe it's a conspiracy between the dealers, manufacturers, and auto parts store to send all bad rotors to you.
Remember, it's a truck, not a sports car.
John wrote:

It varies with make and model of vehicle for me. Here's the vehicles I've owned.
1964 Buick Skylark. 75K, changed pads once, no rotor troubles 1984 Nissan Truck. 95K, changed pads once, no rotor troubles 1988 Suzuki Samurai. 65K, original brakes 1989 Firebird. 55K, original brakes 1991 Suzuki 4 door sidekick, pads shot at 8K and again every 20K or so. Replaced under warranty 1st two times. Brakes were same as on earlier 2 door model, too small! No rotor issues. 1993 Nissan Truck. 145K, changed pads once, no rotor troubles. 1993 Nissan Altima. 95K, changed pads once, no rotor troubles. 1999 Isuzu Amigo. 55K, original brakes. 2000 Ram 4z4. Rotors warped at 10K, replaced under warranty. DC buyback at 30K for continued transmission issues. 2001 Ram. Pads glazed at 15K (sanded and were fine after), rotors warped at 25K (turned, no problems since). Replaced pads at 65K. 2004 Durango 4x4. Rotors warped at 5K. Replaced under warranty. Known problem with many complaints and TSB issued. Warped again at 36K but have not turned/replaced them yet.
My problems with rotors are only with Dodge vehicles. No complaints with brakes on other vehicles except the Suzuki Sidekick. Just too small of brakes for weight of vehicle.
Steve Lusardi wrote:

My 1500 still has its original drum brakes at 145,000 miles. The first three years of the trucks' life it towed a boat too!
Not certain how other trucks stack up as I've only owned a Ford F-150 before the Dodge, but I'd say that's a pretty decent lifespan for drum brakes on a light duty truck.
The front disks are a different matter. Replaced pads twice and rotors twice; once prematurely when the caliper jammed on its slide causing premature wear of the disk at 28,000 miles.
My local mechanics say *all* the vehicle disks are probably more cheaply made these days, and have greater tendency to warp, and of course the kids at the tire/muffler shops with their air wrenches don't help.
I've had new tires with the wheels so tightly torqued I've had to stand on a long extension to get them loose, and I have a feeling they weren't torqued up very symmetrically either.
When buying new tires, I always retorque with a torquewrench when I get home and haven't had rotor warping problems since.
SMH
miles wrote:

You know I had this same problem with my 98 Cherokee I had. The rotors were out of specs, or so the dealer said. They *were* scored up pretty badly, and at only about 40K. I had to replace them. What about non-metallic pads? Do they still make them? Would they be any better?
jeh wrote:

In trucks, it's all about marketing. Most people who drive trucks use them simply as grocery getters and commuters, and they want that look. Off roaders and haulers continue to use smaller wheel sizes.
--
.boB
Arrived: 2006 FXDI, Red.
.boB wrote:

Yeah, I use if for all that too. I don't go off road at all, but sometimes I haul things for the house and yard. I love my Ram though. It fits me like a glove (I'm 6'8") where other trucks and cars don't--I even have a good reach for the radio knob with my long arms. It's plenty fast enough with the 4.7 -- could use a bit less gas though, especially these days. It also seems to get a little more respect on the roads. I'll stick with the 17's. Might get some aluminum wheels though, :-) John