when backing truck hesitates like trying to die

When I'm backing up truck seems to hesitate like trying to die. But when driving it seems to run fine. What should I look for? Help

Reply to
mdtock

What year, model, engine type, trans type?????

Reply to
TBone

Reply to
mdtock

A place where you don't have to back up maybe?

LOL...Sorry...couldn't resist.

Reply to
Carolina Watercraft Works

Yup, That was helpful. Let me look into my crystal ball.

Bob

Reply to
Bob M

At least the OP noted "automatic rebuild". Might be a clue. Might.

Larry

: >>What year, model, engine type, trans type????? : >>2000 ram, 1500 4x4 ,5.9, automatic rebuild . : >>

: >>>When I'm backing up truck seems to hesitate like trying to die. But when : >>>driving it seems to run fine. What should I look for? Help : >

: >

: : Yup, That was helpful. Let me look into my crystal ball. : : Bob

Reply to
Larry

I wonder if the torque converter was installed properly..

Reply to
Bill

Reply to
mdtock via CarKB.com

Reply to
mdtock via CarKB.com

Did this happen AFTER the trans was rebuilt? What exactly do you mean by hesitate? Does the engine bog down as soon as you put it in gear ir does it do it when you step on the gas to make it move? If it does it when you try and make it move, then something is wrong with your transmission and it needs to go back to be checked out. Some have suggested a malfunctioning torque converter but I doubt that as it doesn't know or care what which way you are trying to move and would cause the same problem in either direction if it were the cause.

Reply to
TBone

Reply to
mdtock via CarKB.com

Torque converter n front pump is normal for those. But at least it is cheaper than a tranny rebuild. Now you should be good for another 100k miles.

So much for the rebuild.

Did you put a new torque converter in when rebuilt tranny?

Reply to
Bill