When you turn the vehicle it makes a clunking sound like something broke,mechani

Explain the transmission differential problem on a 2001 Dodge Grand Caravan 3.3 liter V6 Sport model The van drives good when you drive straight, the shop first said it was the front axle and then changed that to it's the transmission differential.

Reply to
neil

On front wheel drives, the clunking sound heard when turning is most times caused by bad CV joints. Also, you will have two axles. Which one did they replace?

Reply to
Leviathan

They didn't change anything except their verbal diagnosis. They put the vehicle up on the lift and said it looks like it's the left front axle. We were extremely happy because my friend said it was the transmission differential.and it would be very expensive to fix.That's when I drove it to a shop and they first said it was the left front axle and the cost would be $186 . When I called back they said it was the transmission and I could be looking at about $1800 for the repair. I still am confused because the van drives very well until you have to make a turn,then it sounds like something broke or a part is broken. Does that sound like it;s the Transmission??? If you can please tell me what you think. Thank you, Neil Sklar

Reply to
neil

There's rubber boots that cover the CV joints. The boots can dry out and break, they can get torn open, etc. When they do, dirt and water can get in and ruin the joints. When they no longer have lubrication, they make clunking sounds when turning and need to be replaced. Check the boots and see what condition they're in.

Reply to
Leviathan

g and its part of the transmission on a front wheel drive vehicle--thats wh y they think the diff / tranny, A CV joint might have a bad spot that it h its when the wheels turn and not when they are straight, --If you can I w ould say jack up and jackstand --only 1 tire off ground and leave the other front tire on ground and carefully put vehicle in drive And with someone i nside vehicle for safety to hit brakes if it falls off the jackstand --- le t the tire off the ground spin slowly with the tires straight ahead and the n turn left and right to try and hear the sound--If it makes sound with tir es pointed straight ahead its probably differential ---If it makes noise on ly when steering is turned its probably a CV joint----

Do that to both sides and hear where the sound is coming from ----

Reply to
dgouldrwp