Which Synthetic ATF?

Page 1 of 3
After my trans burned up and the shop put in some cheap crap in it (they only have to worry a year) I decided I want to put synthetic ATF in it.
I went to the parts store and they had 2 brands. Valvoline +4 which was the
same price at Mopar dino brand of about $4.68.
Then they have Mobil 1 "multi-vehicle" ATF which only states "Mobil Multi-Vehicle ATF is also suitable for use in both newer and older Chrysler applications " at a price of $6.xx
While the Valvoline bottle states "Designed to meet the specific requirements of Chrysler, Dodge & Jeep vehicles."
Though I know Mobil has good reputation with oils, my gut feeling had me go with the Valvoline.
And anyone here used Mobil 1 5W-40 Turbo Diesel Truck oil? Good for Cummins or too light?
http://www.mobil1.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_1_Turbo_Diesel_Truck_5W-40.aspx
Thanks GB
Your dealer should have Mopar ATF+4. Most Dodges from 2001+ require ATF+4.
GeekBoy wrote:

http://www.mobil1.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_1_Turbo_Diesel_Truck_5W-40.aspx

Thanks for the reply, but I am looking for Synthetic. I can get Mopar +4 from Wally World 2 blocks from here.

GeekBoy wrote:

Mopar ATF+4 is synthetic. Did not know it was sold anywhere but the dealerships. Thats good news.

Oh..I did not know it was Synthetic. The Valvoline and the Mopar do smell almost the same.
The crap they put in my trans has no odor at all, so I know it's got to be cheap that came in a cheap drum.
Thanks for that insite.
GeekBoy wrote:

If your dodge is newer than 2000 then get that crap out QUICK! Something like Dextron, Merc etc. can cause major problems with your transmission. Mopar ATF+3 maybe ok but ATF+4 is what is recommended. Chrysler created ATF+4 and were the only ones producing it until recently when they licensed others to produce it. Look in your owners manual or on the dip stick. It probably says requires ATF+4 (might have the ATF+4 designator #9602).

Actually it is a 2000, so I am good one that, but I know that garbage they put in it is not doing the trans any good. So tomorrow I will drain it out and put the +4 in it and see how much better it will run. By the odor, I think it previously had +3 in it., but it still got burned out with that in it, and a cooler w/electric fan somehow. I hope this +4 will protect the transmisson better. Thanks for the info.
GeekBoy wrote:

You'll most likely have to get it flushed to get all the old stuff out from the tranny, torque converter and cooler.

How does one flush it?
GeekBoy wrote:

Most shops do it but I don't like taking mine to any except the dealer...because so many shops fail to use ATF+4 and instead use some crap and then tell you they put in an additive that makes it the same.
Basically they open the line leading to the tranny cooler and pump out the old and pump in the new. Dropping the pan will only get 1/2 or less out.
Maybe someone else here has an easy procedure to get as much as possible out.

Okay Iw ill give a few places some calls and see...thanks
Before you jump the gun, make sure that ATF +4 is even recommended for your trans. Just because it has a higher number does not always make it backwards compatible with the ones preceding it. This fluid has specific lubrication, flow, and friction properties for the newer DC transmissions that might not be compatible or required for your trans and using it at best might be just wasting money and at worst, could damage your trans. I would give the dealership a quick call and ask.
"GeekBoy" < snipped-for-privacy@haaa.com> wrote in message

TBone wrote:

Better wait for punkin's opinion.
"You are failing to understand what you posted yourself, that the grades in the OM are RECOMMENDED, that DOES NOT mean you have to use it, that does not mean you will void your warranty and it damn sure as hell does not mean you will damage your engine." - punkin

--
Make friends with a few animals. Then you will become a cheerful man
once more and nothing will be able to trouble you. - Albert Einstein

Could it be because you're the only one who lights off like a Saturn V rocket every time he tweaks you?

NO!
:^)

The only ones that attack me are the insecure ones like yourself that have ego issues. You guys are a dime a dozen and like a pack of wild dogs that attack those that do not share your point of view, not because they are wrong. You do not know how to exist outside the pack. You guys thrive on this and feel intimidated by anyone that does not buy into your tripe. You are a legend in your own mind. ----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Answer this just for the hell of it.. Have you posted wrong info and failed to correct it when it has been pointed out to be totally wrong?

Answer this as well. Have you recieved the same treatment at other groups that you recieve here? If so, care to suggest why?
Now, if you have the balls to answer these question's truthfully, you will begin to get to the real reason why people at this and a bunch of other groups and forums, as you put it, attack you.

ohh. this should be good.

Nope, it will be ignored.As you know that is his usual procedure. Regards him having ball's enough to answer the questions, his balls are probably resting on guess who's chin?