Which Synthetic ATF?

After my trans burned up and the shop put in some cheap crap in it (they only have to worry a year) I decided I want to put synthetic ATF in it.

I went to the parts store and they had 2 brands. Valvoline +4 which was the same price at Mopar dino brand of about $4.68.

Then they have Mobil 1 "multi-vehicle" ATF which only states "Mobil Multi-Vehicle ATF is also suitable for use in both newer and older Chrysler applications " at a price of $6.xx

While the Valvoline bottle states "Designed to meet the specific requirements of Chrysler, Dodge & Jeep vehicles."

Though I know Mobil has good reputation with oils, my gut feeling had me go with the Valvoline.

And anyone here used Mobil 1 5W-40 Turbo Diesel Truck oil? Good for Cummins or too light?

Thanks GB

Reply to
GeekBoy

Your dealer should have Mopar ATF+4. Most Dodges from 2001+ require ATF+4.

GeekBoy wrote:

miles

Thanks for the reply, but I am looking for Synthetic. I can get Mopar +4 from Wally World 2 blocks from here.

GeekBoy

Mopar ATF+4 is synthetic. Did not know it was sold anywhere but the dealerships. Thats good news.

Reply to
miles

Oh..I did not know it was Synthetic. The Valvoline and the Mopar do smell almost the same.

The crap they put in my trans has no odor at all, so I know it's got to be cheap that came in a cheap drum.

Thanks for that insite.

Reply to
GeekBoy

If your dodge is newer than 2000 then get that crap out QUICK! Something like Dextron, Merc etc. can cause major problems with your transmission. Mopar ATF+3 maybe ok but ATF+4 is what is recommended. Chrysler created ATF+4 and were the only ones producing it until recently when they licensed others to produce it. Look in your owners manual or on the dip stick. It probably says requires ATF+4 (might have the ATF+4 designator #9602).

Reply to
miles

Actually it is a 2000, so I am good one that, but I know that garbage they put in it is not doing the trans any good. So tomorrow I will drain it out and put the +4 in it and see how much better it will run. By the odor, I think it previously had +3 in it., but it still got burned out with that in it, and a cooler w/electric fan somehow. I hope this +4 will protect the transmisson better. Thanks for the info.

Reply to
GeekBoy

You'll most likely have to get it flushed to get all the old stuff out from the tranny, torque converter and cooler.

Reply to
miles

How does one flush it?

Reply to
GeekBoy

Most shops do it but I don't like taking mine to any except the dealer...because so many shops fail to use ATF+4 and instead use some crap and then tell you they put in an additive that makes it the same.

Basically they open the line leading to the tranny cooler and pump out the old and pump in the new. Dropping the pan will only get 1/2 or less out.

Maybe someone else here has an easy procedure to get as much as possible out.

Reply to
miles

Before you jump the gun, make sure that ATF +4 is even recommended for your trans. Just because it has a higher number does not always make it backwards compatible with the ones preceding it. This fluid has specific lubrication, flow, and friction properties for the newer DC transmissions that might not be compatible or required for your trans and using it at best might be just wasting money and at worst, could damage your trans. I would give the dealership a quick call and ask.

Reply to
TBone

No need, ATF +3 is no longer manufactured and +4 replaces it.

Reply to
GeekBoy

Okay Iw ill give a few places some calls and see...thanks

Reply to
GeekBoy

Better wait for punkin's opinion.

"You are failing to understand what you posted yourself, that the grades in the OM are RECOMMENDED, that DOES NOT mean you have to use it, that does not mean you will void your warranty and it damn sure as hell does not mean you will damage your engine." - punkin

Reply to
Beryl

I thought you had a modified transmission with a bunch of DTT parts in it. If so you might want to talk to them before you put anything in it. Actually you might want to talk to them anyway. Here's their phone number:

1-866-504-4002
Reply to
Roy

And while you have them on the phone, ask them what ever happened to the massive 48RE failures we were all supposed to see by now. After all, they were designed to fail at 75,000 miles.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

I remember that, good question

Reply to
Roy

ATF+4 is fully compatible in dodges that require ATF+3. It was specifically designed to meet all ATF+3 specifications. Theres only a couple Dodge engines made after 1999 that do not use ATF+3 and the trucks don't have them. But I do agree to double check the owners manual.

Reply to
miles

Only a DTT torque coverter. The trans was modified by a shop, but no other DTT part in it.

Reply to
GeekBoy

The owner's manual for 2000 indicates that ATF+3 or Dextron III is suited to use. However, seeing the result of what I think was Dextron 3 or +3 in it, I think I will put +4 in it.

Reply to
GeekBoy