Which would you buy?

I don't interpret the ad that way. I interpret it as saying the price is only good if you put at least 2K down or have a trade. In other words they won't do $100% financing on that price. That's not so unusual lots of places won't go 100% on used cars.

Reply to
JJ2

I'm looking to buy a quad cab four wheel drive Dodge Ram short bed. A place down the road has a couple nice ones at decent prices.

2003 Ram 1500 QC - 27k miles, 5.7 V8 auto - $18473
2005 Ram 1500 QC - 61k miles, 4.7 V8 auto - $16473
One has the 5.7 V8, other the 4.7. Other than power, any benefit of one over the other? How comparable are they for gas consumption, reliability, ease of maintenance, etc.? The 4.7 is 2 years newer, but higher miles, any strong opinions on that?

Also, I've noticed this list seems to be big on diesels and commercial trucks and all that, and that stuff doesn't interest me, so please no "get the cummins" or "get the 3500" type posts.

Thanks for the input!

Reply to
Robb

First your price is off. Read the ad. It would seem to me that the price on the ad was after a $2,000 down payment. Secondly the price's seem a bit strong either way imo. But, I have not looked at the truck.

Reply to
Roy

IMO, the 4.7L isn't enough engine for a full-size truck. Also, the '03 is still covered under the factory 7/70 powertrain warranty. By '05, I think DC did away with the 7/70

If it were me, I'd go with the 5.7L

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

I have a 7/70 on my '05. It's a 4.7. Has more power than the '95 5.2 I had. Seems to me plenty of power. It's a regular cab, two wheel drive, long bed. I had an '02 quad cab 4x4 5.9 gas. Nice truck till you had to put gas in it. I don't think you would want the 4.7 in a 4x4 quad cab.

Ed

Reply to
Edward L. Dowdy

My truck:

2003 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 SLT . V-8 , 4.7 liter , 4WD , 41559 miles , SLT package , A/C , power steering , windows , locks , tilt/cruise , AM/FM stereo with CD player , dual front air bags , bed liner , towing package , snow plow , premium wheels , Automatic transmission, remote start .

Bought it just over one year ago priced at 21k. It came with the plow. I don't think these new trucks are as good as the old days. My last truck was a full time 4WD - 1979. That old truck was great, but had seen better days. Now a guy on a farm uses it.

So, OK, the newer one isn't perfect but so far it plows great with the heavy wet snows we get in the Great Lakes. Marina

Reply to
Marina