While in gear, shifter handle bangs hard to the side when going over a bump

Is this indicative of a loose or broken engine/tranny mount?

Ace

Reply to
Aceman

If an engine mount were broken, snapping the throttle while in neutral would produce movement, as well - as the engine will try and twist against the rotation of the crank. If the tranny mount was broken, the transmission would try and bounce up, smacking the underside of the cab.

This may sound overly simplistic, but stick your head under there and look.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Oh yeah.... year/make/model/relevant options are generally appreciated... it eliminates some of the guesswork.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

In news:%PmWf.605$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread1.news.atl.earthlink.net, Tom Lawrence stated, which I commented on below:

Sorry Tom. SRT10 6-speed. Sure I looked under and it looks fine from what I can see, but driving along and going over such as a thing as a sunken manhole cover, it will shake the stick hard enough for me to lose my grip on it, especially when it catches me off guard.

Would you consider that normal for this? I don't. I used to own a 70 429 Torino CJ with a 4-speed that also had a tight suspension, but not like quite as tight as this truck, but it never did that.

Reply to
Aceman

======== ======== What makes it stop doing it?

My first guess is that it's doing it only 30-40mph in 4th or 5th gear.?

My second guess is that the ujoints or center support is bad.

a guess..... only a guess...... based on the facts given...... only the facts given..................... which were'nt a lot of facts you know.

in case of a real diagnosis....... further info will be needed.

~:~ MarshMonster ~has more guess's he guess's if guess's is whats needed~

Reply to
Marsh Monster

In news: snipped-for-privacy@i39g2000cwa.googlegroups.com, Marsh Monster stated, which I commented on below:

Not going over bumps.

I appreciate your guess, and will take it as an educated guess. As for the what speed and gear, I'll take notes on that today, but from your guess, I believe, IIRC, 30-40 in 3rd or 4th, (can't remember if 5th too) is when it's happening. I do remember hearing a 'click' when first starting off in 1st, so I think I'm leaning towards the ujoint being a good guess. Taking it in tomorrow. We'll see.

I'm not sure what other type of info you need. When I'm helping folks with computer network infrastructure questions, I'll ask for specific info. I'll be glad to add any pertinent additional info.

Ace

Reply to
Aceman

========== ========== Ace, check out the u-joints and the center support bearing on the drive shaft.

I've seen several, several "shifter shock" scenarios because of the driveshaft having a bit of wobble in it. While you're under there, put the tranny in neutral, see if the rear diff. has any "fair" amount of slop in the pinion. See if it's rotating

90 degrees or so.

As far as motor or tranny mounts being the cause.....sure, check em while your there. Entirely plausible, completely possible.

The reason for my guess at the gear range and mph.......... is that when you're going over the bumps in a high gear range, the trannies shifter is more likely to show, or capture, any vibration being caused by slop in the drive train.

Check the driveshaft as stated, check the mount.

Do a repost if that doesn't lead to anything.......and......keep in mind....... FIX KNOWN BAD first!!! That's rule #1 in "my" book on diagnostics.

now.......

want the bad news.........???

no....??

well screw you.....you're get'n it anyway..... :)

it could be, might be, possibly is, on the outside chance........... the shifter fork "dawgs". (the guides that align the forks in the channels of the gearing inside the tranny)

but......check all the other she.ite first. (repair known bad first)

any whoooo....... that's my rant.

let us know

~:~ marshmonster ~tranny tech~

Reply to
Marsh Monster

Not to confuse you with "facts", but there is no center support - it's a

1-piece driveshaft (you know... regular cab... short bed...)

But hey... you keep right on "guessin".

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

========= ========= Tom, Not to confuse YOU with "FACTS"..........

but ....nowhere on this thread was it stated that ..(you know..reg. cab..short bed)

but hey......YOU keep right on GUESS'N!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

k?

k!

oh yeah..... and if yer gonna keep spout'n YOUR GUESS'S....you may wanna utilize that there google search bar some. There's a perty good srt10 site out there, if yer capable of finding it. You would benefit from it. That's obvious by yer last post.

rotflmfao @ TomTom

~:~ MarshMonster ~guess's yer guess's are surely guess's cuz marsh guess's he don't guess.... he knows....based on fact~

Reply to
Marsh Monster

It absolutely was... just what configuration do you think an SRT-10 with a

6spd comes in?
Reply to
Tom Lawrence

======= =======

me???????

why this configuration........

You know....... you were correct in the other thread when you stated that I not only work alot on trannies.....but that I also read alot. I read a hell of alot about MY industry.

maybe you should read more tommy.

i suggested already that you familiarize yerself with the search aspect of the google button.....it sure comes in handy when dealing with adamantly agressive misinformed posters.

not only do I make me chuckle...... you make me chuckle toooooo.

~:~ marsh ~tips his hat to tomtom..winks..and turns the page~

~:~

Reply to
Marsh Monster

Nice try... but the QC SRT-10 only comes with an automatic. Since the OP clearly stated he has a 6spd, that's only offered in an RC/SB configuration, with a 1-piece driveshaft.

Back to you, genius...

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

In news:t9IXf.12714$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net, Tom Lawrence stated, which I commented on below:

Ok you guys, I've learned a bit in the past two weeks, and reading both of your posts, and appreciate your comments and highlights. :-)

So far, this truck (and yes, the 6 speed only comes in the RC/SB and automatic only in QC), has had some issues right off the dealer lot. Here's the history so far...

Keep in mind I know these guys at the dealership and they are doing their best to help me...

  1. Made the deal and took it on Mon two weeks ago after working with the general manager on the deal for about a week. I don't deal with salesmen since I was a car salesmen about 17 years ago, and am fully aware of all the backend stuff, how it works, the hidden monies, etc, so I go right to the top. FYI for anyone who cares about the price, the sticker was ,600. The lease intial cap cost (the actual 'selling' price), was at 00 below invoice AND the rebate, which means I got 00 out of the holdback, which was about 25. So essentially I paid about 0 above holdback. So got a great deal. No sooner did I sign the papers a call came in from a guy from the next state over wanting the vehicle. Nice... :-) Anyone else would have just got the rebate off MSRP.
  2. Found out afterwards the rear rotors were out of round and pulsating badly at high speed. While driving around town in the three test drives I took, I couldn't pick up the rear pulsing because I was using the tranny to slow down before/as I was braking. I was playing with the tranny too much to notice. As soon as I made the deal and took it home on the turnpike did it show up. Hmm... Took it in the next day and of course they don't have those
17" huge ass rear rotors in stock. Special order from Milwaukee (where I guess they built the truck since it's hand built and not assembly lined). I also notice a nasty rear shimmy at 70mph. (Cut the rotors you say? They couldn't cut the rotors, either on the vehicle or on the lathe, because they are simply TOO big for the equipment. I was thinking about taking it to a tractor trailer truck place to do it, but it is under warranty and I ain't going to do it...
  1. Took it back when the rotors came in. They replaced them and the rear shimmy, the rear pulsing AND the shifter banging disappeared. Hmm... so it was due to the rear rotors causing the heavy vibes and the shifter shaking badly, besides the pulsing.
  2. That opened up a can of worms. Now the front rotors were showing signs of pulsing. WTF. So they ordered them for me yesterday. I told them they should have swapped rotors off the SRT QC sitting in stock. The service general manager said he would have done it but pointed out what if that had the same problem? I said take it on the turnpike and test it, but the turnpike is about 15 miles away and they didn't want to put all those miles on it travelling to/from and on the turnpike.Ok.. np.
  3. Drving it around is a huge pleasure. The front pusling isn't as bad, so I took it out last night for a bit. Parked now and for the rest of the week until the front rotors come in.

Am I upset? Sure, what do you think? But is it something I would return the vehicle for another? Nope. This thing was ordered in June, 2005 and didn't get delivered until early March 2006. I ain't giving it back... Just want to get thru this rotor ordeal.

And thanks for the tips on what to look for. If after the front rotors are replaced and there is still an issue, well, I will deal with it at that time next week and probably request the Dodge tech guy (from corp) look into it and see what's up.

Thanks again!

Ace

Reply to
Aceman

Sounds like you're in pretty good hands with the dealership... best of luck with the truck, and try not to have TOO much fun :)

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

======== ========

Good feedback ACE, glad your being taken care of.

And..... the thread gave me an opportunity to become better informed myself.

~:~ marshmonster ~refuses to admit that tommy had anything to do with it~

Reply to
Marsh Monster

You're welcome :)

Ah, that's OK... one step at a time.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

In news:ojSZf.4605$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread1.news.atl.earthlink.net, Tom Lawrence stated, which I commented on below:

Thanks Tom, I will! This truck is one awesome toy... ;-)

Ace

Reply to
Aceman

In news: snipped-for-privacy@e56g2000cwe.googlegroups.com, Marsh Monster stated, which I commented on below:

No prob Marsh. I learned some things as well.

LOL!

Reply to
Aceman

In news:ydYZf.2088$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net, Tom Lawrence stated, which I commented on below:

FYI as a followup. Got the new rotors on the front. The vibrations are gone other than the engine idling. This thing is awesome on the highway.

Apparently most of the shaking was due to having four out of round brakes. Wouldn't you know it coming out of the factory like that? What are the odds of getting a new vehicle, SRT or not, that all four rotors are out of round?

Thanks for your help and pointers gentlemen.

Ace

Reply to
Aceman

Someone put the lug nuts on with an impact gun... and I wouldn't suspect the factory - I'd suspect the dealership tech that did the PDI on the truck.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence