Whine coming from from driver side wheel.

It's getting louder. Used to be heard at highway speeds, but now quite loud at 45.
If I step on brakes or turn to the left sound deadens quite a bit.
Took off tire and nothing seems loose. Could this be a wheel bearing?
Still have not taken the rotor off, nor the giant nut (what is that, 30, 35mm?).
Just thought I would ask see what everyone else thinks before removing anything else.
GB
On Fri, 04 May 2007 17:28:33 -0500, GeekBoy wrote:

could be a wheel bearing or the tire itself.
sorry i forgot what you drive so general stuff is all i can offer ;)
Chris
05 CTD

2000- 2500

2nd vote for wheel bearing

1-11/16" - torque is 175ft.lbs.

Gosh darn it...I did put the wheel back on and turned it. There is a sound coming from the bearing area..almost like tumblers..but not quite. I priced it at a placed called "Advanced Auto" it's like AutoZone. Told me it's factory direct part for $310..crap.
You or anyone know of a second source? These are sealed bearings, correct? Maybe a junk yard?
You would think that Dodge would use those famous German bearings for such a important part, since the plants sure did get bombed a lot during WWII. Since they are a part of DC now.

I don't have that size. Guess I have to go buy it.
Thanks for the info.
GB

Sounds about right, if you have ABS.

Not for a HD bearing (2500/3500 trucks) - they've always been dealer-only. However, EBay's showing several (at least for '94-'99, don't know why a 2000 would be any different) in the $130-$150 range.

Yep

Yes I do

What has me worried about ordering from anywhere is the descriptions. They all seem to mention 4 wheel drive. I worry they will not fit onto my 2 wheel drive.

Oh, ok... didn't realize you had a 2WD. Yeah, it's a different bearing (still a one-piece hub/bearing unit, with integrated tone wheel for the ABS), and the torque specs are different (spindle nut is 280ft.lbs.)
How about this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item 0098968960
Okay. thanks for that info.
Have not had any time to look in to any of it yet. Thanks

I've had good luck buying bearings for othere things at a local bearing shop, "Miller Bearing". For instance, I was rebuilding a Brit made anchor windlass and didn't want to wait for a grossly overpriced part from there. Took the shot bearings to Miller where they mic'd them and sold me replacements for a fraction of what the makers of the windlass wanted. Might check your yellow pages.

I can absolutely guarantee they won't have this one. It's a one-piece sealed unit with integrated hub, ABS tone ring, and wheel studs. It's not simply a matter of matching the right tapered roller bearing.