White Gas-smelling Smoke

Hi, I have white gas-smelling smoke coming from the valve cover when I remove the oil filler cap. Could I be burning coolant and it just smells like this because of the route it's taking or am I burning coolant and something else is wrong? I am getting a code 13 (MAP sensor vacuum circuit). Could this be the cause? Also, how do I reset CHECK ENGINE after making corrections? I have driven back and forth several times in the driveway. Is that enough to do it? I can't tell if I fixed the problems or I just need to be reset.

TIA

Reply to
noggs

I should add that this is an old 89 Dak 2.5 that I am trying to get on the road after a couple of years being idle. I recently discovered the previous owner left clear water in the cooling system so I expect to find coolant leaking/burning somewhere. However, there is no oil discoloration anywhere and there is no vapor or sweet smell in the exhaust. It does run very rough and I am getting codes 13 (MAP sensor vacuum), 22 (Coolant temp sensor), and 23 (Throttle body temp sensor). I discovered the coolant temp sensor was disconnected. Reconnecting did not turn off the code. I checked the connection of the TB temp sensor and even tried turning the connector around. I'm surprised it fits in either direction, but the code still comes up. I'm not sure how the vacuum lines should be connected (the diagram doesn't help me much), but there can't be many combinations as they all come form the same source anyway. Is that correct? The Ant-lock and Brake warning lights are on in the dash as well. Could that just be from inactivity?

Thanks for the input!

Reply to
noggs

White smoke usually indicates oil, while black is fuel.

Reply to
GeekBoy

White is water (coolant), blue is oil and black is fuel.

Larry

: : : White smoke usually indicates oil, while black is fuel. : : > TIA : >

:
Reply to
Larry

The Ant-lock and Brake warning lights are controlled by a seperate brake computer. The codes for its problems can be pulled as well by connecting certain wires and counting the blinking brake light. See your manual.

beekeep

Reply to
beekeep

white can also be transmission fluid. but that's getting a little old school as i cant think of any newer vehicles with a vacuum modulator

Reply to
chris thompson

I've been watching my blue and white Lava Lamp. A white blob rose up like a ghost, looking back at me. Then its right eye popped.

Reply to
Beryl

I don't think they were discussing the kind of white smoke.

Reply to
Abby.Normal

dont let him bother you, he's just trying to get me to start pissing at him since no one else will play anymore. but sorry beryl not gonna happen.

Reply to
chris thompson