Why change fluid in front/rear differentials?

Why is it important to change the oil?,fluid?, or whatever is in the front and rear differentials?. I don't remember ever having to do it with any car
I owned. I only remember watching the mechanic check the level on the cars rear end. I have 17,000 on my 04 Ram 1500 hemi quad. If that helps. Thanks Hp
Many people do not change their differential fluids, every O&M does require changing it. I change mine once a year weather I need it or not. It also provides a snapshot of you gear wear. I have never had a failure and I do alot of off roading. It is cheep to do, easy to do and it is a good thing to do so why not do? Coasty

Because gear oil breaks down over time just like engine oil. While not subjected to the dirt and contaminants of an engine, it's still placed under extreme pressures, and will accumulate metal shavings from gear and bearing wear, and clutch material from limited slips.