Will Not Fit Sport Models

What is the deal with Sport Model Dodge Rams, I own a 97 Ram 1500 Sport, don't get me wrong... I love the truck and the way it looks, Ive upgraded in with 17" Aluminum rims with 33" procomp muds, overal it has a black and white appearance with aluminum accent.

My question is why do so many aftermarket exterior items state.... will not fit sport models.

I was looking to get euro front light they are black and clear to give my truck a better look, but it states will not fit sport models,

Grill inserts normally state will not fit sport models

Ive seen 2" basis lift kits state will not fit sport models

Whats the deal, The cosmetics on my 97 sport look Identical to a regular 97 with the exception my grill is painted to body color and there use to be a sticker on the side that said sport.

Is there really a design difference in the body that I am not seeing?

I must have found a diamond in the rough when I bought this "RAM SPORT"

Will sell it for $100,000 USD

Reply to
jlongx2

You have a point there with the year of your truck. Around 99, Dodge changed the Sport models with a different grill and bumper. You would think if your grill is the same as a regular chrome one, why wouldn't this stuff work? I remember with my 01, I couldn't buy certain things because of having a Sport. For instance I wanted tow hooks. I buy them (which Mopar states you need to cut notches in the bumper for them to work). If you get the 100 grand...I better go find my old truck really fast lol.

Reply to
tiggy

Your Sport uses four headlight bulbs, two per side, doesn't it? The corner lights attach to the headlamp shells differently on the Sport models.

If you're talking about replacing everything, corners and headlights, then it looks (from what I can find on eBay) like you're going to be

*downgrading* to two headlight bulbs, just for the sake of style. It's not going to work plug-n-play with your stock wiring harness either, so expect this to blowup into a nice project.

Sport grills were bowed at the bottom in later years. Since your '97 grill and bumper meet in a straight line, inserts should fit the same as with any standard grill.

Some of the body sheetmetal behind the headlights and around the radiator supports differs between various years of Sport and Standard models. Not much, but enough that headlight swapping might require some cutting and fitting.

Reply to
Beryl