Window Tint Cost

I'm looking to tint the windows on my 92' Ram. I was wondering what can I expect to pay at a tint shop to get the 2 front windows and sliding rear window tinted? Thanks

Reply to
Scott

Man, that is almost impossible to answer for you as the prices are going to swing greatly from city/state to city/state. You honest best bet is to pick up a phone and call some of your wutomotive glass repair shops or look up tint in the Yellow pages.

OR, drive to Sierra Vista, AZ and there are a few places here where you can get the fronts and rear done for about a buck twenty five.

Reply to
azwiley1

I'm in North Carolina, does anyone know a general cost at a tint shop?

Reply to
Scott

There are several different styles and quality levels, all costing different rates. We recently had our '07 Maxima tinted all the way around with non-metallic and spent over $600.00.(Oregon) Call or visit a shop and get an estimate. Good stuff isn't cheap.

Wolfie

Reply to
Wolfie

That seems absurdly high priced. I always get the top of the line film and have never paid more than about $250, usually less. My Dodge Caliber was $200 for all the way around.

Reply to
miles

I'll hafta pull the receipt outta the maxie in the AM so I'll lknow exactly what we're talking about. The stuff I could'a put on for $200.00 range was garbage. We're real happy with the results and the lifetime warranty. In fact we'll be taking it back for some clear film on the front of the car this spring. The stuff they sand the roads around here kills a new paint job. This film prevents the chipping, even in the most exposed areas. But it isn't cheap, obviously.

Wolfie

Reply to
Wolfie

OK, here we are. It's fro Formula One Performance Automotive Film,

their Pinnacle Series, which is, as Isaid, non-metallic, non-conductive ceramic technology. I apologizefor my poor memory...it says we paid $515.00 for the job, I don't knowwhere I got $600+. But this stuff was $150.00 for the windshieldpiece alone. So it doesn't take long to add up. Wolfie

Reply to
Wolfie

You had the windshield tinted??????

I always try to get a top quality film. Being in Arizona I'm more interested in blocking out heat and UV than light. I'm not sure but I thought the metallic tints are better at blocking UV and heat.

Reply to
miles

He wrote he had it filmed. There are clear films out there.

3M makes a 8 mil one that when you throw a brick at the window it won't go through.
Reply to
GeekBoy

My initial post states that very clearly. My second post reiterates, with an emphasis on the cost. Judging from your use of a few extra question marks it is my guess that you didn't misunderstand what I said but that: A. I am the first person in your life that has ever tinted a windshield, or B. You have an opinion you're just dying to express. (my money's on B)

I see. Well, I did what research I could on the subject and found the non-metallic products to be very appealing in features and durability. The studies will show the relative reductions in UV and heat and they are very similar, as you will see. And we are not faced with the type of sunlight conditions in southern Oregon that exist in Arizona so there's a good possibility we might not arrive at the same conclusion. You'll just have to try to take my word for it when I tell you I put what I felt was the best product on a brand new car. I can't imagine doing otherwise.

But the point of my post is not to convince you or anyone else of what to use. I was merely responding the best way I could, based upon my own experiences, to the OP.

Wolfie

Reply to
Wolfie

You are the first person that I know of that has tinted a windshield. Unless you are talking about the top only. I thought that it was illegal. But...

Reply to
Roy

I have an '01 quad cab 4x4.....I hade the back window and the two side ones done for $100.00 at an independent shop...The dealer wanted $300.00 for the same stuff...go figure

Charlie The OC

Reply to
cjc1200

The laws vary from state to state but are very concise with respect to the areas allowable and the minimum percentage of allowed light through each area. And that is a gradient on the windshield, as opposed to a continuous degree of darkness on any of the other windows.

The shop that we take our stuff to is the same one used by the State Police and local Sheriff's Dept. and we have always stipulated that we are not interested in exceeding the legal limits. What I find interesting is that it was law enforcement, through their use of surveillance vans and the need for darkened glass, that first promoted the use of extreme window tinting on cars. But I *want* a LEO to be able to see into my car at night if they need to so it's not that extreme. Far less than is allowable in your state.

Wolfie

Reply to
Wolfie

I expect I'll use the same product on my '99 QC as we did on the Maxie. And I expect, for the back window, 2 front doors and windshield, it'll cost close to $3 to 400.00. I do like the finished effect, though.

Wolfie

Reply to
Wolfie

$100 sounds like a fair price. Thanks again.

Reply to
Scott

First off you're dang argumentative for no reason aren't ya?? Second, you'd be wrong. I've never seen anyone tint a windshield other than a small strip across the top to cut glare. Most newer cars already have some tinting there from the factory.

Reply to
miles

In AZ the law allows one to limo tint the back doors and rear window. The limitations are on the front doors. I'm not much for the ultra dark limo tint anyways. It blocks light but doesn't do much for heat and UV. No tinting is allowed on the windshield except a small strip across the upper part. The normal field of vision area can't be tinted at all.

Reply to
miles

Not as a rule. No offense intended. I've been waiting for my tranny to get done for too many days now.

Fortunately, I'm not a betting man. Even more fortunately, I'm accustomed to being wrong.

All the glass in the new Maxie had some tint to it. Not enough to suit me, though. And to hear that I've been the first to do something is simply astonishing to me. Thank you. ;-]

Wolfie

Reply to
Wolfie

So is this tinting on the entire windshield or just an anti-glare strip across the top? I hope the latter!!

Reply to
miles

The film is cut to fit the entire glass. I'm not sure I understand your concern. We have some big, long white sticks with red tips that we've taped along each side of the car...really gets the attention at crosswalks. And we can always roll down the window and stick our head out if we need a real good look. Hell, we're almost too old to be driving anyway so may as well enjoy it while we can; eh?

Wolfie

Reply to
Wolfie