Woohoo-- I got one------

Been reading here for a while, and posted a while back regarding buying a CTD for heavy towing.
I found a truck in the paper, a 01, HO, 6speed, loaded like new with 30K on the odometer. Paid 21K.
After being high pressured at every dealers lot I walked on ( I hate that) and driving a *lot* of different trucks this one seemed like a find. Obviously pampered and well maintained, tight.
Had a gooseneck hitch installed and hooked/loaded up the 4horse and took it out ----what a torqe monster, damn thing will pull any hill in any gear I want, in the mountains mind you. Puts the ol 454 to shame, and it is a runner.
Put a solid ton in the box and hardly knew it was there,, on the highway at any speed. Not real fun for errands in town, will keep the chevy for that.
So how did I do? (no remorse here) I've read the owners manual and would like to get a shop manual, any suggestions. Any maintance tips/suggestions appreciated. How's the dual battery setup work?
Regards DE
-
DE wrote:

Congrats on the Truck. Those Cummins engines are great! I recommend you frequent the http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/ site and http://www.turbodieselregister.com/forums /
Clay

And I recommend ya take any and all info on those sites with a grain of salt before carefully confirming its legitimacy.
--
Max

Max Dodge wrote:

mentioned this group as well? Clay

Your biggest problem will be the potential for injector pump failure, because of lift pump failure. The lift pumps on these engines are notorious for failing, starving the injection pump of fuel (which it uses for lubrication), and causing a rather expensive repair. Get a fuel pressure gauge (Geno's Garage, http://www.genosgarage.com , has the necessary gauge, connecting hose, etc.) so you can monitor your fuel pressure. I'd recommend an electric gauge (Westach makes one, as does Autometer [which is what I have]), as it makes the installation easier (the sending unit stays in the engine compartment, so you don't have to mess with fuel into the cab or an isolator unit).
Other than that - keep the fluids fresh, use only good-quality oil and filters (Fleetguard Stratapore's, also available from Geno's above), and above all... wave to the Ford and Chevy drivers as you pass them on the hills :)
Thanks for the information, it looks like the fuel line from the lift pump to the filter could be tapped with a barbed T fitting and line run into the cab. I don't have any problems with a diesel line into the cab, a gasoline line would be another story. I imagine the gauge could be mounted nest to the brake controler. Where would the electrical tap for the gauge be found?
DE
On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 02:11:14 GMT, "Tom Lawrence"

-

Well, if you're going with a mechanical gauge, then you just need the lighting, which you can get right from the headlamp switch. Find the dimmer line with a meter/test light (turn parking lights on, set dash dimmer to 1/2-way, and look for ~6V or a dim light on the test light).
Tom,
I am looking to add some gauges to my truck as well. I looked at Geno's and I could not find a reference to a Autometer Fuel Pressure gauge. I am looking for a white face electric gauge. (I am also looking to add and tranny temp and either a boost or exhuast temp gauge.)
Thanks Craig C.

I don't think Geno's carries that particular gauge (although I'm sure they could get it). I ordered mine from http://www.egauges.com - Autometer part# ATM-5760.
Given the choice between the two, EGT is much more important to have than a boost gauge.
Thanks.
Now I have to decide on a mount. I had decided on the in-dash mount, but I suddenly realized that I have the electronic 4WD knob there. They also have an overhead mount, but I need to see it mounted first. I would think that would look a bit cramped.
Craig C.

If it's just the one gauge, get the SRT-10 A pillar from Geno's: http://198.104.149.53/CoastalData/showdetl.cfm?&DID0&Product_ID 79&CATID=1
The overhead mounts have been showing some problems - mainly the velcro falling off and the whole thing drooping down.
Here's a shot of my truck with both the SRT-10 pillar, and a dual steering column mount (with the Autometer Phantoms)
http://home.earthlink.net/~tlawrence5/IMG_0173.JPG
That's cool. I was think that all of the pillar mounts ousted the handle ... which I need to climb up into the truck. Obviously you found one that kept the handle intact.
Thanks Craig C.

Yeah, the aftermarket dual and triple pillar pods require you to Sawzall the handle, but this single pillar is a factory piece used in the SRT-10 Rams (I think they have an oil temp. gauge there), so it's a direct replacement for your existing pillar trim. I use my handle everyday, too, and wouldn't want to do without it.
snipped-for-privacy@metronet.com wrote:

If you want both egt and boost gauges for a single gauge pillar mount:
http://www.westach.com/images/showcase/2DC2-30-Boost-EGT.jpg
www.dodgram.org is a good source of information. Register your engine at http://quickserve.cummins.com for free and you can access a limited parts database and some manuals. All you need is your engine serial number. -- Ken

sounds like a pretty good deal. however, i didnt think the 6 speed was available until '02?

oh hell yeah. :-)

drop by http://InlineDiesel.com/forum and help get things off to a good start!
--
Nathan W. Collier